name: /usr/sbin/system_profiler

stevehillnz
New Contributor III

What would make Casper show "/usr/sbin/system_profiler" under both model and serial number for a computer? The machine appears to be named correctly.

4 REPLIES 4

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I see the same thing.

I'd guess that those are 10.8 machines and your running a version of JSS that is not 10.8 aware (less than 8.6 I believe).

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Has this Mac had hardware level repairs recently? I have seen system profile return non standard output back to the JSS after a hardware repair like a main logic board, and the firmware was not flashed to contain the serial number.

I am not sure exactly how the binary pulls that info, but here is a test using the system_profiler binary on my system:

bash-3.2# system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Serial Number/ { print $4 }'
123456789abc

I redacted my serial number and put a false one in, but it worked for me. You can also inspect the System Profiler app to see what is also displays. I suspect it is reported wrong in the OS and this is why you are seeing that. If this is not the case please contact your account manager.
Thanks,
Tom

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

We have seen this issue a few times. Typically the culprit is inventorying the machine with an older version of the Recon Application. On the machine that is showing /usr/sbin/system_profiler, try re-enrolling that machine with the Recon Application or the command line by typing "sudo jamf enroll". Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,
Joel

stevehillnz
New Contributor III

Good one, Joel - you hit the nail on the head. I tried a "sudo jamf enroll", which failed with an unrecognized command error. That was enough to confirm the older version of Recon scenario. I attempted a command line recon, which also failed, so I deleted the machine from the JSS then enrolled again with Quickadd. Happy with that.