Newly installed applications do not show under finder or Launchpad but can be found under Spotlight

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I have just received our new test Macbook Pros. I am testing the application installs. The applications show as installed under JAMF but they do not show under finder or in the LaunchPad.

However if I search for them under Spotlight , they are found and work. The apps were created on Yosemite 10.10.2 and installed on Yosemite 10.10.2.. However I did have issues with this machine and just reinstalled user the Apple recovery as I am in the process of setting up the Yosemite images. I installed using Self Service. I have never had this issue before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I found that Drag and Drop that solved many issues on 8.73 did not work as well as the original Snapshot method.. I was able to drag and Drop Flashplayer and one other . But I had to create the snapshot for many of the other apps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Open a new finder window.
In the upper right search box, type the name of the app.
Sort the columns based on "Kind", and scroll through to locate Applications.
Single click on the App name to highlight and reveal the location.882754289a0745ef918053d0004f2c6f

The path to the app is shown in the bottom of the Finder window.
In my example, I've searched for FireFox

Common places to look for Applications is within

/Users/myname/Applications

and within the work directory used by Composer

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I tried something else but will test again with this.. I went under info and found directly under Macintosh HD like the install had not completed.. I usually have good success but worked in overdrive yesterday so will work with one of the apps in several scenarios tomorrow.

I dragged the Firefox icon into applications and all went well. Usually I can just drag and drop these into Composer or Casper Admin.. So slow testing tomorrow.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

Trying again this morning and then will try that search. Installing older version that I know worked first. Although the others did work on another machine.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I found that Drag and Drop that solved many issues on 8.73 did not work as well as the original Snapshot method.. I was able to drag and Drop Flashplayer and one other . But I had to create the snapshot for many of the other apps.