nexthink collector policy creation deployment

sachinkpshindep
New Contributor

Hi, I am trying to create the Nexthink package in jamf pro need to deploy 200+ MacBooks and am unable to create the yet not found any steps related to this. I got only a profile from the Nexthink site

can anyone guide or share the step for Nexthink collector deployment? 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

btowns
New Contributor III

You need to use Composer to create the package.

1. Place the collector dmg and customer_key.txt file somewhere like /private/tmp/Nexthink/
  2. Drag these files into composer adjust permissions and ownership (root/wheel, 751, 755, whatever you prefer)
  3. Create a postinstall script which mounts the dmg, runs the csi binary with configuration options, the main ones are "address" and "key".
  4. Clean up the install files and unmount the dmg

Looking at the script it doesn't look like there's a need to cd to the Nexthink directory but it's working so I'm not going to change it :)

Postinstall

#!/bin/bash

cd /private/tmp/Nexthink

hdiutil mount /private/tmp/Nexthink/Nexthink_Collector_22.6.2.10_10.15-12.dmg -nobrowse

sudo /Volumes/Nexthink_Collector_22.6.2.10\ OSX\ 10.15\ -\ 12/csi.app/Contents/MacOS/csi -address [your engine].us.nexthink.cloud -tcp_port 443 -key /private/tmp/Nexthink/customer_key.txt -engage enable -data_over_tcp enable -use_assignment enable -ra_execution_policy signed_trusted_or_nexthink

hdiutil detach /Volumes/Nexthink_Collector_22.6.2.10\ OSX\ 10.15\ -\ 12/ -force

#Cleaning up
rm -rf /private/tmp/Nexthink/

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

If I copy the  .dmg file under /tmp file and drag into my composer then it doesnt show me the entire path that .dmg is under /tmp. And after clicking on convert to source taking some time and opening all four files under .dmg, if I close that window and build as .pkg and manually run on my mac, it is saying incompatible on this device, any idea?

SMR1
Contributor III

I followed the steps above and just changed the Nexthink version to the one I'm installing, but it doesn't install. I see the folder show up in the tmp directory, it then mounts the dmg, the tmp folder goes away, but it doesn't install.

btowns
New Contributor III

Is your path to csi.app correct? I think this would be the most likely place for an error.

You can try running the individual pieces of the script in terminal using sudo to see what the issue is.

SMR1
Contributor III

Looks like my path was a little different and I also had an extra space. It looks like it's installed. Is the nexthink service nxtsvc supposed to show up under Full Disk Access when you upload the mobileconfig?

btowns
New Contributor III

Full disk access permissions don't show up in the macOS GUI when they're enabled via config profile. This is my experience anyway.

SMR1
Contributor III

Sounds good. Has anybody created config profiles for the browser extensions? The steps online are pretty vague. I went to the below site and tried doing a copy and paste, but Jamf doesn't like the format of it.

Installing the Nexthink browser extension

btowns
New Contributor III

I don't use them this but should probably work (Chrome as an example):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
		<key>ExtensionSettings</key>
		<dict>
			<key>miinajhilmmkpdoaimnoncdiliaejpdk</key>
			<dict>
				<key>installation_mode</key>
				<string>force_installed</string>
				<key>update_url</key>
				<string>https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx</string>
			</dict>
		</dict>