Odd behaviour since upgrading to Casper 7.1

Not applicable

My JSS is behaving oddly for the first time in about 3 years. I'm seen an error message when starting Casper Remote, and also when I interrupt an autorun imaging task so that I can manually tweak the imaging settings. A small window pops up saying: "The server that Casper Remote received data from does not appear to be a valid JSS. Please verify the address and try again."

There's nothing wrong with the server address, and I've done health checks on the JSS without any problems being reported. However, I have noticed that the response times from the JSS (e.g. when "gathering information" when Casper Remote first starts up) are suddenly much longer than they used to be, i.e. it's taking on the order of 30-40 seconds for Casper Remote or Casper Imaging to start up. And when I use the web interface to the JSS I'm also seeing very long wait times. Nothing has changed in the infrastructure apart from upgrading to 7.1.

Other things seem to be working ok, however. Syncing of packages to a replication point works fine, the JSS Setup Utility is behaving normally, and as I say, all table checks are successful. But something's not right somewhere.

Before I plunge into the log files, has anyone else seen anything of this kind? It would be useful to know if others have seen similar odd behaviour or if it's specific to me. The JSS, btw, is running on a 10.4.11 server, which is fully patched and up to date.

TIA

James

~~~~~~~~~
Dr. James Partridge
Systems Development & Support (Apple)
NSMS
Oxford University Computing Service
13 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 6NN

Tel.: (01865) 273207
iChat: james.partridge at me.com

1 REPLY 1

Not applicable

I'm currently working with JAMF support to resolve this slow or non-response from the JSS in environment. we think it is tomcat related and possible related to the high volume of clients checking in. 10.5.8 server with JSS 7.1 as well.

Nathaniel Lindley

++++++++++
Information Technology
Saint Paul Public Schools
Saint Paul, Minnesota
nathaniel.lindley at spps.org
phone: 651-248-6861