Patch Management - Microsoft OneDrive 1 Extension Attribute Error

GenesisMaster
New Contributor II

The latest Microsoft OneDrive versions use a different Key for their Bundle Version in their Info.plist file and JAMFS Patch Management definition is generating an error. 

The existing Attribute Extension jamf-patch-microsoft-onedrive searches for KEY="CFBundleVersion" in the Info.Plist of the /Applications/OneDrive.app/Contents folder. However, there is no such key.

Looking in the Info.plist of my own installation I can find the key "Bundle Version" with version 23086.0423.0001

There is no way for me to Edit the AE to improve the results or redirect it to my own that's collecting the relevant information. 

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GenesisMaster In the past Jamf has changed the contents of the EA, and when that happens you'll need to approve them again, but that isn't a regular occurrence. If you're seeing an issue where your approval doesn't "stick" you might try deleting your existing OneDrive Patch Management configuration and re-create it. If that doesn't help you'll need to contact Jamf Support to investigate why that's happening.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GenesisMaster Where did you get a 23.086 build of OneDrive? 23.066 is the latest listed by Microsoft as rolling out, and the auto update version for the production channel appears to be 23.076. The CFBundleVersion key should absolutely be where the long version string like 23076.0409.0001 should be found so Jamf's EA is correct, and if you have a 23.086 version lacking that key then I'd say Microsoft made mistake in that build.

GenesisMaster
New Contributor II

@sdagley The version came down today as part of my latest MAU updates. As you can see from my screenshot it is not part of the Preview channel and is the (Standalone) (Apple silicon) version I have installed.

GenesisMaster_0-1683173060057.png

I can only infer Microsoft made an incorrect entry into their Info.plist for this version. 

In which case I need to determine why my JAMF Patch Management instance of Microsoft OneDrive is generating an error.

GenesisMaster_1-1683173667789.png

I have a separate AE with the exact same code retrieving what I believed to be the legacy entry. 

Jamf has also updated their definitions with this particular version as of May 1st.

GenesisMaster_2-1683174026068.png

So I concluded this was either a JAMF issue, or I'm missing something. 

Actually I take it back, I missed that slight variation in the numbering. It is 23.081.0416.0001 in JAMF and I have 23.086.0423.0001. Which would mean Microsoft released yet another version between May 1st and May 3rd that isn't even listed with release notes on their site.

So while I agree this is looking more and more like a Microsoft issue, is there any advice on how to fix/troubleshoot the JAMF AE error I'm getting? I feel like there should be something verbose I can look into to see the error, but from the Computer management AE list there is no listed item for the referenced jamf-patch-microsoft-onedrive. There is a location I'm overlooking that'll provide me the context for that "ah ha" moment. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GenesisMaster Did you accept the terms for the MAU Extension Attribute? That image you show usually means that you haven't viewed the EA page for the Patch Management definition and clicked the Approve button.

To avoid patching an unknown newer version do not select the "Patch Unknown Versions" in your Patch Policy settings.

GenesisMaster
New Contributor II

Thanks, I found the approval "Accept" button. it's contextual so it only appears if you hit the edit button from the EA tab. But, I'm pretty sure it prompted it from me when it was first set up. I left it alone for about fifteen minutes and reloaded the tab for the Extension attribute and the Error re-appeared. 

Where would I go to check on the verbosity of why it keeps erroring? It does allow me to re-accept the same EA but I have no clue why it keeps deactivating itself.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@GenesisMaster In the past Jamf has changed the contents of the EA, and when that happens you'll need to approve them again, but that isn't a regular occurrence. If you're seeing an issue where your approval doesn't "stick" you might try deleting your existing OneDrive Patch Management configuration and re-create it. If that doesn't help you'll need to contact Jamf Support to investigate why that's happening.

GenesisMaster
New Contributor II

Thank you again, I did in fact try removing it and re-adding. I learned you have to give the system a good 15mins before you try re-adding, as it takes a while to undo all the EA configuration it established. You cannot have an EA with the same name, for example.

Unfortunately, it did not help. This is why I was searching for where the logs or error message may be outputting. At this point, I'm collecting the same info from an alternate EA I created, and have a different method to enforce patching. So this will need to go into JAMF as a support request. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Good to know on needing a delay

fixem73
New Contributor

Has a resolution been found for this?