PPPC for SMARTBoardService

luke_reagor
Contributor II

Has anyone had any luck getting SMARTBoardService put into PPPC? The app is located at "/Applications/SMART Technologies/SMART Settings.app/Contents/bin/SMARTBoardService.app", but is not signed.

I'm trying to pre-approve its request for Accessibility access.

b62f7c841e89420e976630c2e94ef94c

10 REPLIES 10

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @luke.reagor have you tried the PPPC utility?

We started using it and it makes a big difference. We simply add the app on the left side of the window, choose the access the app needs and then it can upload directly to your JSS or you can create a file to upload later. So far, it has been working well for us.

sshort
Valued Contributor

If the app isn't signed when you run this command, then you'll need to contact the developer and implore them to sign their app. PPPC profiles require the app to be signed.

codesign -dr - /Applications/SMART Technologies/SMART Settings.app/Contents/bin/SMARTBoardService.app

luke_reagor
Contributor II

@mconners : Yes, I've tried the PPC utility, but I find it's easier for me to just make the profile directly in Jamf now that it's an option in the config profiles.

@sshort : Yes, it's because the app isn't signed by SMART that we can't get it to work. I was hoping someone had found something that worked. I'm currently trying to force a signature on it and get it to work like that. Following this info, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27085895/terminals-codesign-command-trouble, I've been able to get it signed, albeit not by SMART but by our ID. But even with it signed, I haven't gotten it to not prompt yet.

estes
New Contributor III

I opened a support ticket with Smart and they provided me with signed versions of Smart Ink and SmartBoardService. PPPC utility could then be used.

They've asked me not to share the files but you can reach out to them and reference my case. They were very helpful.

https://support.smarttech.com/en/forms/contact
SMART Support Case #00200444 - NB 18 for Mojave

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@estes Did you get any indication from support that they were rolling these signed versions into an updated notebook installer?

UPDATE: I sent an inquiry into SMART referring them to your case number and they of course looked at that like a dog tilting it's head to hear a new sound. His response was "Since you are already working with a tier 3 support person you should reply to the email chain". The tech clearly didn't look up my name nor the referred ticket # so now I'm waiting on a response back from him pointing out his goof.

estes
New Contributor III

I'm told that's the plan to release new signed version soon.

Email me your contact info @mainelysteve estes@mentorschools.org

bsloane
New Contributor

Anyone have an update on the signed version of Smart Ink?

sshort
Valued Contributor

@bsloane Someone reached out in the #tcc room on the macadmin Slack last week to say that SMART was "releasing an update soon."

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

They were releasing an update "soon" 5 months ago.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I was told by SMART support back in March that it would be available by the end of this month(May 2019).