Purchaser bought Laptops under wrong account

CapU
Contributor III

I got a call to please enter the serials for 2 new laptops into Apple School Manager.
I get an error when trying to enter the serial number. After some checking around, our new Purchaser thinks he bought the laptops under the incorrect apple account. How can we fix this and get them under our school account?

10 REPLIES 10

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

your best bet is to email apple canada or canadabusiness@<giantfruitco.com>, or your apple rep and see what they can do... While you're waiting come join us in the #vancouver channel of macadmins slack!

CapU
Contributor III

@rderewianko What is the exact name of the slack channel?

CapU
Contributor III

@rderewianko was it #macdevopsyvr?

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Macadmins.org and then just #vancouver

Look
Valued Contributor III

We had a bunch of iPads assigned to the wrong DEP by an upstream vendor.
After a month or so of to and fro, Apple insisted there was absolutely no way they could correct the problem so we ended up returning them for replacement units.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Look Apple can't/won't correct devices assigned to the wrong DEP account but it should be easy for your vendor to do.

Aguiness
New Contributor III

As far as I am aware return the laptops and get ones that are registered in your Dep account Apple wont switch them over
I have seen a lot of issues with iPads and Apple don’t switch them over to the correct organisation Most of the time the reseller can resell.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@sdagley Just going from our experience, it's somewhat complicated here in NZ though as the actual vendor is in Australia so it's kind of us>NZ Vendor>Aus Vendor>Apple Aus>Apple.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Look My org has multiple DEP accounts (long story), and we've recently switched the primary account over to ABM. When we asked Apple to move all of the devices in the other DEP account to the ABM account (where it is now possible to designate a preferred MDM based on device type) they said they can't do that for us but the vendors we purchased from can. I don't think they'd have a completely different system for NZ/AUS but I could be wrong. The trick would be finding someone in your vendor's organization that understands the working of the DEP/ABM system and is willing to attempt editing the order.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@sdagley Interesting, I'll file that one away for next time, they replaced the devices for us this time, but everyone inlcuding the Apple Enterprise rep I spoke to was certain it couldn't be done so there is clearly some confusion even at Apple's end as to what can and can't be done. Good to know there actually is a process that works for it though.