REMOVE WiFi icon in Sonoma

jalawton
New Contributor II

After weeks of working and looking for a solution with Sonoma NOT showing the WiFi through the control center to all my wired lab users, I felt you might stumble across this and need specifics to a solution. 

I disable the WiFi on my machines.  I do so by running:

sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled Wi-Fi off

This will cause the WiFi icon to show an explanation point.  This is a nasty thing for users, making them think that they don't have internet when they do.  So to eliminate this, I created a Configuration Profile that I push out to these computers.

Here it is:

jalawton_0-1715026431699.png

Then under Application & Custom Settings, I choose Upload and created the following:

jalawton_1-1715026431700.png

The scope will be those computers running Sonoma. 

I hope you find this useful.

Jack Lawton
IT Manager/Lab Manager (5 labs - 100+ machines)
School of Journalism and New Media
University of Mississippi

Jack Lawton
IT Manager
The University of Mississippi
5 FARLEY HALL
University, MS 38677-1848
(662) 915-2046
jalawton@olemiss.edu
4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Just as an FYI, the Wi-Fi icon showing in the menu bar is part of the NIST CIS L1 benchmark. For orgs trying to ensure they follow the benchmarks to the letter, they will want the Wi-Fi icon showing as hiding it can trigger a finding.

ID system_settings_wifi_menu_enable

References

800-53r5

CIS Benchmark

CIS Controls V8

CCE

• N/A
• 2.4.1 (level 1)

• CCE-93010-7

jalawton
New Contributor II
Yes I can understand. But the whole reasoning behind the CIS is to disable unnecessary services on your devices. WiFi isn't necessary in my labs.
For my environment, this is an audit trigger that I would glad to explain why it was flagged.

As for why I posted, this wasn't something easy to understand on how to implement. Sonoma changed mannerisms from previous MacOS editions. Therefore, I thought others might find a concise solution helpful.

Jack Lawton
IT Manager
5 FARLEY HALL
(662) 915-2046
jalawton@olemiss.edu | jnm.olemiss.edu<>
Jack Lawton
IT Manager
5 FARLEY HALL
(662) 915-2046
jalawton@olemiss.edu

joshuasee
Contributor III

Is there any documented rhyme or reason to the integer to use for the WiFi key? You appear to be using 8 (ᵐᵃʸᵇᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ⁱᵐᵃᵍᵉˢ ᵃ ᵇⁱᵗ ˡᵃʳᵍᵉʳ ⁿᵉˣᵗ ᵗⁱᵐᵉ), a StackExchange post mentioned 24, and they both appear to work, but the fact they key is an integer rather than a boolen would seem to indicate more is going on here.

jalawton
New Contributor II

As someone pointed out the Plist settings are very hard to read.  Here is its contents:

PLIST file containing key value pairs for settings in the specified domain

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyLists-1.0dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>UserSwitcher</key>
<integer>22</integer>
<key>WiFi</key> <integer>8</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Have a great day.

Jack Lawton
IT Manager