Restart after Updates...what am I missing?

SHC
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm testing out a policy that just has the machine install updates from it's default software update server, which is just apple, we don't host one ourselves.

I have the restart options to restart immediately if no one is logged in, and if a user is logged in, I have the delay set to 60 minutes, with Start the restart timer immediately checked off.

Under User Interaction, I have a restart message set to:

"This computer has applied updates and needs to restart. It will restart in 1 hour. Please save anything you are working on."

So my test machine was on 10.14.3, meaning 10.14.4 would be applied upon running the policy. The machine checks-in, runs the policy, then I get a window that says updates have been applied, the machine will restart in 5 minutes.

Where is it getting those settings, and why is it ignoring my delay settings and custom restart message?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

12 REPLIES 12

mwilkerson
New Contributor III

I had a policy all of a sudden ignore the custom message and restart time. I had to create a new policy completely. You might want to create a test policy with 1 minute restart time and a custom message to see if the problem is isolated to that initial policy.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Two places:

The Restart pane on the policy and the user User Interaction under the policy as well.
Both will need to be set to the same time...

5c88b3bf2a9343bea772d6441cc30e9f
a13c055e47eb43578bdd8107d46652dc

EdLuo
Contributor II

I ran into the same issue. Getting a generic message of "updates have been applied, the machine will restart in 5 minutes" instead of my my custom message and restart timer of 2 minutes.

robmorton
Contributor

Apple has gotten very heavy handed with their updates in my opinion. We noticed the last few have just restarted after install. Our post flight script wasn't running and no prompting to the user. We finally started trying to tell the user that the restart will occur prior to the installation, but they do not read the dialogs, so...

SHC
New Contributor II

@scottb @mwilkerson

Thanks for the replies. I've tried deleting the policy and creating from scratch, and get the same result.

And those two options you mentioned are set to match:

b7c4f50ebbef4de5a635ba5c3be2a5c3
cc3e1bed40f94c59b0732fca1e215e7c

robmorton
Contributor

If you take your package and run it in the terminal with
sudo installer -pkg <path to package> -target /

Does the machine try to restart immediately without you doing anything. That has been my experience with the new security updates. No warning and the only thing that really stops it or slows it down is a Terminal window running it seems. If that does just force a restart, then I do not believe Jamf can stop it. Apple seems to be doing the restarts differently now.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@SHC - Hmm, odd. Let me ask - what rev of Jamf Pro are you running?
I'll have to see if I can setup one of these using SUS to test. None of my non-macOS policies have this issue.

SHC
New Contributor II

@scottb

We're running versoin 10.10.1-t1551187745

EdLuo
Contributor II

Just got this again on another computer. We are on Jamf Pro 10.11.1. It is not consistent across computers. Majority works correctly.

scottb
Honored Contributor

So all, is this only for OS updates requiring reboots that you see the time mismatch?
I want to try and see where this does/does not happen here as I've not seen it yet.

EdLuo
Contributor II

The only policy that I have that requires a reboot is for OS updates. I am attaching screenshots and logs.
6cc37a9e4be44f9c9a08e0f0047f897d
82bb035a650e42c3acc6735d9725064f
b67ba3d0beb84be1abfdaeeff090e3aa
742a00ace0744c6a973eada01724ff6c
3e5dda3cb61143009c9bfbbfc19986a1

RJH
Contributor

I am also seeing this issue - and only appears to have started since we updated to JAMF Pro 10.13. Occurs on both High Sierra and Mojave mac devices. Custom message is not displayed AND default message advises users to log off rather than restart, which then results in the machine eventually rebooting at logon prompt.