Restore deleted configuration profile in Jamf? Or, PEAP config with individual user logins?

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if there's a way to restore a delete config profile within Jamf.

I found an article that basically said to change the ID number in the URL until you find the profile that you need, click Download, and then when you upload the mobileconfig it should use the same ID number.

This doesn't seem to work anymore. I can find the profile, and I can download it just fine, but re-uploading it gives it a different ID number. I'm not certain this is a problem, but I don't want to be messing with things until they break further.

We had a WiFi configuration profile we want to restore as we think it got deleted before it got removed from devices, and suspect it's now causing us trouble.

On a related note, if anyone knows how to configure PEAP to use individual logins from the network, without having the Macbooks actually connected to the domain, please let me know as that would also solve the problem. We can just not push a profile, but then we can't get the certificates assigned to the network.

4 REPLIES 4

jtrant
Valued Contributor

You can't re-use an old ID number anywhere in Jamf Pro. Re-uploading the old profile to Jamf will create an identical profile with a new ID.

Jamf Support might be able to help further with this, and in terms of removing the old (now deleted) profile from devices. In theory this will happen once Jamf figures out that the profile is still present on devices, but best practice is to un-scope before deleting.

It might also be a good time to take a look at permissions in Jamf Pro, and prevent non-admins from deleting things.

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

Thank you for the information. I figured as much based on what I was seeing, I'm just unsure how to go forward from here to do what I need to.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

I have never had to restore a deleted config profile, but I think contacting Jamf Support would be a good next step. There might be a command they can provide to restore the profile, as since it's viewable in the UI, it's still in the database.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

That popup that says "this cannot be undone" is kinda literal. You delete a config profile, its gone and you have to manually rebuild it.

If your JAMF Server is unprem, and you have a database backup from BEFORE the deletion. You can recover that backup on to a dummy server (no network access to devices so they don't try to talk to it), and look at the config profile or even export it.