Restoring an iOS backup from a Personal Device to a Managed Device

Utilizator
Contributor

We have a user who has just started and they have a personal iPhone backed up to iCloud. We want them to be able to restore this backup to a new, managed iPhone but it doesn't seem to work.

We wipe the Managed iPhone and allow Proximity Setup, the Personal iPhone sees the Managed iPhone and goes through the steps to restore and it appear to be working, however after enrolment through our IdP the Managed iPhone goes to the Home Screen and nothing happens (apart from our required Managed Apps being there).

Does anyone have any success doing the above? I'm wondering if it's even possible to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If I am not mistaken Apple specifically blocks this. You cannot transfer an iCloud backup from a managed device to a non-managed device and vice versa.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If I am not mistaken Apple specifically blocks this. You cannot transfer an iCloud backup from a managed device to a non-managed device and vice versa.

Thanks, AJPinto, I thought that was the case. I'll relay this to the end user.

+1 Kudos

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I think Imazing will do the backup and restore.  Pricy but it might give a way if you really want to get the restore done on a managed iphone.

A lot of the data can be downloaded afterwards from icloud by just enabling icloud sync.  Have a talk with the user to find out exactly what they want restored.