Rj45 adaptor for ipads

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

So i sent the lock device command to find a missing iPad, at some point it took and locked the iPad out like it is suppose to do, but now that the device has been found the wifi is off and not able to receive the unlock command, is anyone else having this problem? I have a lightning to rj45 connector but apparently all it is designed to do is charge the device over a poe switch. Is anyone aware of the proper adaptors for hooking an iPad up to the network with a hard line?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrentBuena
New Contributor II

This is what mine looks like:

• Lightning to USB Camera Adapter plugs into the iPad.
  • The lightning port on the adapter plugs into a 12w Charger.
  • The USB port on the adapter plugs into a USB to Ethernet adapter.
  • The Ethernet adapter plugs into a network cable.

This works and simple to store.

abc18d7d9e4f4518a8207b3318a4fcc3

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

BrentBuena
New Contributor II

This is what mine looks like:

• Lightning to USB Camera Adapter plugs into the iPad.
  • The lightning port on the adapter plugs into a 12w Charger.
  • The USB port on the adapter plugs into a USB to Ethernet adapter.
  • The Ethernet adapter plugs into a network cable.

This works and simple to store.

abc18d7d9e4f4518a8207b3318a4fcc3

BrentBuena
New Contributor II

For the 30-pin connection, my setup is the same path but different adapters. In fact, it's too embarrassing to share a photo but it works.

ncottle
New Contributor III

@BrentBuena has it right. That's what we use and it has worked great for us. I think I used it for the exact purpose you were looking to use it for.

sietsemaeri
New Contributor III

Thank you Brent I will get some purchases made.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Your milage may vary, but using this setup to send an MDM unlock passcode after the device has been restarted no longer works in iOS 10.3.1. I have an Apple support case open and they have confirmed the issue.

CGundersen
Contributor III

I also had issue w/ lightning to USB camera adapter and 10.3.1 (and lost mode, not in general usage). Thanks for confirmation @cbrewer. My JAMF buddy reminded me of tethered caching which did the trick. Otherwise, remember to send clear passcode before lost mode command.

flee
New Contributor

Thanks @BrentBuena! I have something similar, but with a USB hub and straight USB to Lightning. Does your setup also charge the iPad along with giving it network?

BrentBuena
New Contributor II

@flee It does the charge the iPad, but once I've cleared the passcode I'm handing it back to the owner.

@cbrewer I tried this on a 10.3.1 device and a 10.3.2 beta device and still works fine. Which adapters are you using?

gbunner
New Contributor III

We have a couple of 10.3.1 iPad Pros that keep dropping off of the wifi network and won't reconnect due to a hidden SSID. Our networking team will not unhide the SSID or create a new SSID that is not hidden, so I'm testing this setup to hard wire the iPads to get around this wifi dropping issue.

I have all of the adapters mentioned above, but when they are all connected as described, I'm not getting a network connection and Ethernet does not show up in system settings. It does charge though. Any suggestions?

Emmert
Valued Contributor

iOS 10.3 breaks this adapter setup. But it does let you do internet connection sharing from a computer over USB running the latest MacOS.

BrentBuena
New Contributor II

10.3.x doesn't break the adapter setup. The adapter's firmware needs to be updated. Here is a link for reference.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/13/apple-lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter-firmware-1-0-5/

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I don't think @Emmert is saying the adapter setup doesn't work. The problem is that iOS 10.3.x won't pass MDM commands over the ethernet connection after a passcode locked device is rebooted. I've even verified I can ping the iOS device over it's ethernet IP address, but MDM commands stay queued. Once said device is passcode unlocked MDM commands go through.

gbunner
New Contributor III

The adapter definitely works after the firmware is updated. The issue that I have is that the iPad is sitting behind a proxy server, and I see no way to configure a proxy server connection through this wired setup....

wjw
New Contributor

@Emmert Thanks, I had an iPad 10.3.1 that was disabled due to passcode. I tried the wired setup and it did not work. I connected to Macbook through USB and turned on internet sharing and it allowed iPad to receive the MDM command and unlock.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Bump, Thanks @Emmert that worked, I was at my whits end with this issue, after 10.3.x killed the old method.

the usb ethering internet sharing works a treat.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214259/how-to-reverse-tether-an-iphone-or-ipad-to-your-pc-or-mac/

Malcolm
Contributor II

follow up; @emmert well it worked for two ipads, but not any more than that. Sitting behind proxy is difficult, is there any means to provide invisible proxy to a specific IP and then dhcp assign the IP to the usb mac ethernet cable? I only just bought my usb 3 camera adapter... I'm giving it a try, but frustratingly 2 of our ISP connections are playing up right now, one of which is our inbound/outbound for our jss.

I know the adapters working though, just wont know if it will fix the JSS communication issue when its stuck in disabled mode.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Just got the internet back online here... Similar to my hub solution, some ipads in question aren't unlocking, not sure if its a specific release of IOS or if it is an issue due to the global proxy on the ipad.

Investigating further.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I did some follow up investigations and found two issues, 10.3.2 appears to not function as intended, when network attached, for passcode removal...

Also found, that if the iPad is switched off and back on, after the ipad is disabled, it kills the ability for any means of removing the passcode, including attaching it to apple configurator.

Which further suggests to me that the bug is an IOS one, causing the lightning adapter port to remain disabled on an iPad if it is passcode disabled and turned off and back on.

What you should find in the event of a passcode lock out, on 10.3.3 at least, that if it hasn't been rebooted, it should retain the ability for you to swipe up from the bottom and turn the wifi off and back on.

I've reported the bug.