Seeking Recommendations for Overseas MacBook Deployment

ThomasAung
New Contributor

Hello! 

I am new to Jamf platform and my knowledge to Jamf administration is not enrich. I'd like to see the advises from experienced and excellent members of the Jamf Nation for the following case in my current company. 
I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations or insights or alternative solutions you might have regarding our situation.

We're working on implementing Jamf for our staff who are based overseas. To do this, we're considering providing MacBooks to them. However, we've run into a problem while trying to figure out how to deliver these MacBooks due to import restrictions and regulations in different countries. This obstacle is making it difficult to send MacBooks from Singapore to the destination countries.

As an alternative, we're exploring the idea of buying MacBooks directly from local IT vendors in those countries. These vendors shall handle everything from purchasing the MacBooks to setting them up with Jamf MDM and decommissioning them when needed. 

Thank you!!! 

7 REPLIES 7

cenforce
New Contributor III

Hey @ThomasAung ! Dealing with import restrictions can indeed be tricky. Your alternative approach of working with local IT vendors in each country seems like a smart move. It not only addresses the logistical challenges but also ensures a smoother process from purchasing to setup and decommissioning. Have you considered reaching out to Jamf support or community forums specific to those countries for more localized insights? Good luck with your implementation, and I hope the experienced Jamf folks here can provide you with some valuable advice! Cheers! 🍏

jamf man

ThomasAung
New Contributor

Hi @cenforce  Thanks for the input. 

Yup, we are also considering to deal with local IT vendors. Yet to reach out to community forums. 

moriahitadmin
New Contributor III

Hi @ThomasAung,

Yes local vendors seems best option, only feedback i can give is, they can not setup device for Jamf (they do not have access unless you give them which I do not recommend), but make sure they are authorised retailers (i mean able to add devices to ABM/ASM), once they are added in ABM your jamf instance will take care of the rest. 

WmOrtiz
New Contributor

Collaborating with reputable vendors can streamline the entire process, from procurement to setting up devices with Jamf MDM and eventual decommissioning.

sayr01
Contributor

Hi,  

Critical that local vendors are apple authorised! Make sure you setup ABM before contacting local vendors.   

All the best. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

This is an Apple question, not a JAMF question. 

So long as your resellers are Apple Authorized Resellers, they can add devices to Apple Business Manager for you. However, not all regions are cross compatible in Apple Business Manager. For example a device in India may need to be added to an Indian based ABM, which will cause extra hoops on your part. Talk to your resellers and talk to Apple.

AlexHoffman
New Contributor III

So my last company did something similar since Bosnia does not allow export or import of MacBooks. I set up automated device enrollment here in the US. I had my team in Bosnia purchase devices and use Apple Configurator 2 on an iPhone to enroll the devices in our Apple Business Manager. Then they were able to go through pre-stage and provisioning without issues. I would recommend looking into doing something similar. It allows devices anywhere in the world to get setup exactly the way you want with very little touch time for local IT Teams. Once they enrolled devices into Apple Business Manager, it's basically zero-touch deployment.