Smart Computer Group Usage Report

stephaniemm77
Contributor

Hey Everyone

Is there a way to collect a usage report on an entire Smart Computer Group? I know you can click on individual machines and collect, but I cant seem to figure out how to do it with a smart group.

12 REPLIES 12

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

usage of ? app ? device ? 

Usage in general or applications

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

you can use Advance Search - Application and specify an App.. the report is poor and can't be exported but you can copy paste and fettle into something of use.. device use.. time for an EA I expect.. what exactly do you want to report? 

We have a room that isnt getting used very much, they want to replace the computers with high end machines that aren't really getting used. I am trying to show the usage of the room is very low, so like even login's or usage of Adobe 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

you could use an EA to track logins or specific application use.. but that would be reported

daily or based on your recon policy... your IdP should track logins and devices.. ? 

I am not sure I would know how to do that, I mean I pay for this software and sometimes I seriously wonder why HAHA. Every issue I have, "jamf pro doesn't do that" 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Jamf does everything you want it to (that Apple allows)... but anything specific you need to code... its always been that way.. 

So apple wont allow us to run a report on a smart group only individual computers?

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

no.. you can report of what you like.. but to collect data that not 'built in' to jamf.. you need code an EA.. 

But we can get the data in jamf, just on one computer at a time not a smart group

Jamf has some of the best reporting of all the MDMs, but you might need to find or create an EA to get the data you want. There are literally thousands of EAs shared in various places like JamfNation, GitHub, etc. Ever try getting reporting from Intune? It is virtually nonexistent, so any reporting you may need is either going to be manually created in Excel from exported data or by creating some overly complex PowerBI reporting dashboard. But as @jamf-42 stated, any MDM is going to be limited in what data you can collect due to Apple privacy rules.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

the EA becomes a variable your can scope in a smart group and the scope and report on.. see more here https://community.jamf.com/t5/tech-thoughts/extension-attributes-the-what-the-why-and-the-how/ba-p/2...