Smart Search by vendor of an App

georgbhm
New Contributor III

Hey,

I'm trying to create a Smart Search, which lists devices with any Software title by Oracle installed. Is there an easier/better/future proof way than just adding every Application made by them? I found "Vendor" as an attribute, but does not yield any results.

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't think there's anything native in Jamf that would do what you're looking for here.

Best I can think of at the moment, would be to create a script to list all installed applications using something like system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType to pull any "Oracle" applications.

I don't know how easy it would be to then create a report out of this, but it's something to look at.

View solution in original post

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You could write a script that reads this information and run it on loop for each app in /Applications (or whatever directory you want to read) and echo the results to a file. Then use an EA or some other method to read that file. I would not turn this directly into an EA.

Rule of thumb, future proof is generally fictitious in the best of situations. With Apple, there is no such thing as future proof. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mickgrant
Contributor III

The Vendor Attribute looks up GSX data. Documentation can be found Here
So its not going to help you find a software vendor

georgbhm
New Contributor III

Cheers! So at least now I know what not to use

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't think there's anything native in Jamf that would do what you're looking for here.

Best I can think of at the moment, would be to create a script to list all installed applications using something like system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType to pull any "Oracle" applications.

I don't know how easy it would be to then create a report out of this, but it's something to look at.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You could write a script that reads this information and run it on loop for each app in /Applications (or whatever directory you want to read) and echo the results to a file. Then use an EA or some other method to read that file. I would not turn this directly into an EA.

Rule of thumb, future proof is generally fictitious in the best of situations. With Apple, there is no such thing as future proof.