Terminal slow.

BM-Degenkamp
New Contributor III

We have 2 users who need to use the terminal a lot for their day2day work. With Jamf installed (with firewall policy), opening a new terminal window takes a long time and this time increases. After a reboot it works ok for a while, but gets slower again. When we remove the MDM profile, it works as normal again. Anyone experience with that?

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@BM-Degenkamp Jamf Pro itself shouldn't cause the issue you describe. The things you're configuring and installing with Jamf Pro could however, and should look at those to see if you can identify which it might be.

cdev
Contributor III

Have the users look at their Terminal preferences > Profiles > <profile> Window tab and either disable or reduce the number of restored rows from the default (10,000) to say 1000 and see if that helps. I've see that resume function cause that exact issue because of reloading/resuming sessions.

BM-Degenkamp
New Contributor III

According to one of the affected users, even a power-down of the macbook (pro) is slow. And when we remove the Jamf install, it runs as it should. 

dlondon
Valued Contributor

As Steve said, look at the other things installed.  

If it was me, I'd give them a clean machine with your standard build and see if they still have the slowness.

If they do, I'd wipe and rebuild with just Jamf and no extra software.  If that behaves, start layering on software.  

Remember, removing Jamf removes all the configuration profiles you have deployed.

Has anyone actually looked at the machines to see if something is hogging disk or cpu?