THE MYTH OF THE: Blank Push in macOS

mhegge
Contributor III

Doesn't work, never has. Change my mind.

15 REPLIES 15

rhooper
Contributor III

I have never seen any logs for it so does that mean it is not working?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It might depend on what it is that we're expecting to happen when the feature is used. So, what exactly do you expect to see happen when invoked that isn't happening?

isThisThing0n
Contributor

I thought it forced a check in via MDM. Just a empty payload but would refresh any pending commands. I often run it after cancelling failed commands as a matter of process rather than based on any solid evidence it actually did anything.

mm2270

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to do as I understand it, but I'll be honest, I can't actually say I have any hard evidence that it does that, so I don't have a way to counter anyone's thinking here. Maybe someone at Jamf can enlighten us on its proper use. It should cause any pending commands to kick in, but I'm not sure.

utkec
New Contributor
New Contributor

The blank push management command for computers (and mobile devices) sends a blank push notification to the device prompting it to check in with Apple Push Notification service (APNs). The feature can be useful to test if a device is having issues communicating with Jamf Pro or APNs.

mm2270

Thanks for the quick reply to this thread @casey.utke! So, by checking in with APNs, does this mean any type of pending MDM commands (assuming there even are any) would kick in? In most cases it's rare to have too many pending commands unless there is some kind of communication issue between the device, APNs and the Jamf server. But assuming there are any, and communication is working as expected, would it, or should it cause them to take place?

utkec
New Contributor
New Contributor

I would assume so as if the blank push is successful as that means the device was able to talk to Jamf Pro and APNs in which case the pending commands should also be able to go. That being said there is the possibility something else could be causing the pending commands.

Naren
New Contributor III

I'm intrested to know what is the exact command that sent to device from jamf when we click on blank push?

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

It would be more useful if the blank push actually gave real-time feedback in the console.

isThisThing0n
Contributor

It’s a layer of abstraction that we may never fully understand!

mhegge
Contributor III

@bradtchapman Exactly!

elsmith
Contributor

I'm with @bradtchapman on that one... it could at least put an entry in the log so you know if it worked or not. I usually want to run it when I see a bunch of pending or failed commands, but the fact that it doesn't show up in logs or tell you it's successful/failed in any way makes it pretty worthless to us.

thetfordb
New Contributor II

run this in terminal and you'll see the activity from a blank push.

log stream --predicate 'process="mdmclient"'

user-bmLAgfrTvn
New Contributor

If it does cause an Inventory Check - I wonder why there is a specific management command for Inventory Check for devices.
And also asks the question: why isn't there a similar command for Computers?

ShaneY
New Contributor

If its not been said you can enable MDM debugging on a machine, do a blank push and see that it arrived at the machine.  This verifies that the communication channel is open and working.  It does nothing else.