Unable to turn on FileVault (-69550)

nkreeger
New Contributor

I have an Intel-based Mac that will not enable FileVault.  A user left the company so I wiped the machine back to defaults and upon startup, re-enrolled in Jamf.  Everything enrolled properly but enabling FileVault fails on every level. 

The Config profile is installed.  When I restart it attempts to turn on FileVault, asks for password, I enter and then it says there was an error.  It restarts, I login and try to manually enable through System Settings.  It prompts for password, I enter and then nothing happens.  It accepts the password but nothing happens.

I ran the command fdesetup enable in terminal and it prompts for credentials, I enter and it stalls for a moment and then says "Error:  A problem occurred while trying to enable FileVault. (-69550).

I have wiped this machine twice now and same result.  

Ran disk utility and it found no issues.

I'm at a loss.  Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

nkreeger
New Contributor

UPDATE:  I created a separate admin account and it allowed me to turn on FileVault.  No idea why this worked.

MatthewGC
New Contributor III

This is usually because the account you're using lacked a valid token. Typically, this isn't an issue for the sole and first admin, but it does happen from time to time.

I did the command "sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus firstuseraccount" and it said the secure token was ON so that's why I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.