Update with Erase-Install Task Issue

foreverkan
New Contributor II

Hello,

I use the Erase-Install to update/upgrade our Macbooks. But i have a problem. 

Task is works, macbooks download and install the package then reboot the device. But after reboot erase-install task start again then it dowload the same package again. And when i check the logs from jamf pro, it is "Pending" stiuation. Can you tell me what is wrong?

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@foreverkan When you directly run the erase-install script the Mac it's running on will restart before the script completes which means the policy running it will never log that it has completed so it will still show as Pending. Using the erase-install-launcher script to run erase-install works around that problem, and the policy running it will report as completed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@foreverkan Are you running erase-install directly from your policy, or are you using https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install/blob/main/erase-install-launcher.sh to call it? If you're not doing the latter then the Mac will restart to complete the update/upgrade which means your policy will never "finish" so it remains Pending. Using the erase-install-launcher script instead of calling erase-install directly will allow the policy to complete.

foreverkan
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I use policy, pkg and command. i applied this policy. I couldnt understand "Using the erase-install-launcher script instead of calling erase-install directly will allow the policy to complete." can you tell me how can i do that?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@foreverkan When you directly run the erase-install script the Mac it's running on will restart before the script completes which means the policy running it will never log that it has completed so it will still show as Pending. Using the erase-install-launcher script to run erase-install works around that problem, and the policy running it will report as completed.