User Management

Jay_mahapatra
New Contributor

Hello, 

I have enrolled an user in JAMF pro before enrolling the device in Apple Business Manager. I have removed the MDM profile and reset the Mac. so should I delete the user from JAMF pro before starting the device enrollment in Apple business manager? or I can enroll the device in apple business manager then delete the user from JAMF Pro? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ashok_A
Contributor

@Jay_mahapatra - If you have already done with macOS Reset, then its totally up to you on deciding which enrolment process your organisation would like to follow. As a Best Practise, it is recommended to enroll using Automated Device Enrollment because this prevent the users from removing the MDM profile from System Settings and also we have more control on the devices enrolled via ADE. 

When it comes to your question of removing the Mac Computer entry from Jamf, its is recommended to configure the "Re-enrolment" Settings from Jamf Pro Settings > Global to ensure you have enable the following and you will no longer require to remove the Jamf Computer entry while re-enrolling the device to Jamf Pro. Jamf will compare the device Hardware UUID / Serial number and overwrite entries as new computer with same Computer / Mobile Device ID, but the follow items will be cleared as you have set them to clear during re-enrollment. Let me know if this is helpful.

1. Clear user and location information on mobile devices and computers

2. Clear user and location history information on mobile devices and computers

3. Clear policy logs on computers

4. Clear extension attribute values on computers and mobile devices

5. Clear Management History On Mobile Devices And Computers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ashok_A
Contributor

@Jay_mahapatra - If you have already done with macOS Reset, then its totally up to you on deciding which enrolment process your organisation would like to follow. As a Best Practise, it is recommended to enroll using Automated Device Enrollment because this prevent the users from removing the MDM profile from System Settings and also we have more control on the devices enrolled via ADE. 

When it comes to your question of removing the Mac Computer entry from Jamf, its is recommended to configure the "Re-enrolment" Settings from Jamf Pro Settings > Global to ensure you have enable the following and you will no longer require to remove the Jamf Computer entry while re-enrolling the device to Jamf Pro. Jamf will compare the device Hardware UUID / Serial number and overwrite entries as new computer with same Computer / Mobile Device ID, but the follow items will be cleared as you have set them to clear during re-enrollment. Let me know if this is helpful.

1. Clear user and location information on mobile devices and computers

2. Clear user and location history information on mobile devices and computers

3. Clear policy logs on computers

4. Clear extension attribute values on computers and mobile devices

5. Clear Management History On Mobile Devices And Computers

Thank you sir, I will try it.

But before that, I want to write an essay assignment and I am gonna visit site now through which I am gonna take help to complete my essay assignments. After that I will try when I am free.

Jay_mahapatra
New Contributor

Hey Ashok. Thank you do much for taking the time out and helping me with my query. So the process that I followed was.
1. Remove the MDM profile 
2. Reset the Mac : reinstalled the OS 
3. Enrolled in ABM
4. Enrolled the user with Automated device enrollment
This cleared the problem.

I have a follow-up question.(forgive me for being naive as I do not have a tech background) Now I have an employee whose mac was enrolled using Automated device enrollment and the employee has resigned from our organisation. I want to reassign the mac to the new employee. What steps should I follow?
1. Just replace the name and email-id of the new employee with the resigned employee in JAMF pro? or then follow the same steps as remove the MDM profile - wipe the computer - reenroll the computer?

@Jay_mahapatra -

For your question on Mac Computer Re-assignment, it is recommend to wipe the device and install the latest macOS version before handing it over to a new employee.