VPP Renewal Question

jhathcock
New Contributor III

So I need to renew the VPP certificate for our cloud server and we don't have access to the apple id last year's was created with.  I tried uploading one from the main apple id that is admin for Apple School Manager but it says it doesn't match.

I know you can add another VPP token, do i just make a new one?  Will i have to reassign all the app licenses?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Prayers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jhathcock You should just be able to log in to your ASM account, click the button to download a new VPP token (in ABM that's under Preferences->Payments and Billing->Content Tokens), then upload that to your JSS Volume Purchasing configuration in Settings->Global->Volume Purchasing by clicking Edit then Renew Service Token and selecting the new token you downloaded from ASM (at least that's how it works if you're using ABM). No new certificate required

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jhathcock You should just be able to log in to your ASM account, click the button to download a new VPP token (in ABM that's under Preferences->Payments and Billing->Content Tokens), then upload that to your JSS Volume Purchasing configuration in Settings->Global->Volume Purchasing by clicking Edit then Renew Service Token and selecting the new token you downloaded from ASM (at least that's how it works if you're using ABM). No new certificate required

jhathcock
New Contributor III

So just creating a new one.  But will I need to do anything with the app catalogs after that or does the server fix that internally?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

All the VPP content you already have added to Jamf Pro will remain

jhathcock
New Contributor III

thanks. just wanted to make sure.

jhathcock
New Contributor III

I did have to go in and reapply the license to some of the apps, but about 50-60% or more worked without intervention. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I would suggest calling Apple over this. Messing with the VPP certificate can break a lot of stuff. Apple can assist in migrating purchases from one VPP AppleID to another. However this all must be done BEFORE the certificate expires. Though if your organization has ownership of the original AppleID, Apple can reset the password.

Along the lines of this. The Jamf documentation states:

"Note: 

The content token expires in a year, and you will need the same Apple ID to renew it. By entering your Apple ID now, we can help you retrieve your ID next year."

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-now-documentation/page/Setting_Up_Volume_Purchasing.html

Which seems to me that you must use the same Apple ID that you already have assigned to the VPP location in Jamf.  

I am not sure of the process to change this Apple ID is. Any one know? Do you have to contact apple?