What's New in Jamf Pro 10.31.1

kaylee_carlson
Contributor
Contributor

Update: August 11th, 2021

Today we made an update available to Jamf Pro to fix an issue with a legacy passcode policy payload. A reminder that the cloud upgrade was postponed and is now scheduled for this upcoming weekend, see below for details. Please check your Jamf Nation alerts or the release notes for additional details on this release. 

Standard cloud customers will be upgraded directly to 10.31.1 during this weekend's scheduled release. 

///

Hi Jamf Nation,

With this Jamf Pro release, we are excited to announce Jamf Title Editor as an expansion of application lifecycle management capabilities, an integration with TeamViewer for remote screen sharing and continued enhancements for Jamf Connect deployments and macOS Self Service.

Read the full release notes here.

Kaylee

Cloud Upgrade Schedule
Your Jamf Pro server, including any free sandbox environments, will be updated to Jamf Pro 10.31 based on your hosted data region below.

Need assistance identifying the Hosted Data Region of your Jamf Cloud instance? Check out this guide to find out how.

Hosted RegionBeginsEnds
ap-southeast-2Aug 13 at 1400 UTCAug 13 at 2300 UTC
ap-northeast-1Aug 13 at 1500 UTCAug 13 at 2300 UTC
eu-central-1Aug 13 at 2200 UTCAug 14 at 0800 UTC
eu-west-2Aug 13 at 2300 UTCAug 14 at 0500 UTC
us-east-1Aug 14 at 0400 UTCAug 14 at 1900 UTC
us-east-1 sandboxAug 14 at 0000 UTCAug 14 at 0900 UTC
us-west-2Aug 14 at 0700 UTCAug 14 at 1900 UTC

Next Steps

For real-time messages about your upgrade, subscribe to alerts.

For information on what's new in Jamf Pro 10.31, please review the release notes.

25 REPLIES 25

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'll repost what I said in this feature request: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/10398/keep-product-email-notifications

That's not the same at all. My Jamf Nation profile is associated with my personal email address. I have Jamf Nation emails going to a personal address. I need Jamf Pro update emails going to my work email address.

That's not even mentioning all the confusion that will be created every time that post gets updated but the comments remain that reference older product releases. Unless you plan on deleting the discussion and re-creating it every time, thereby deleting people's comments which creates a whole set of other issues. Comments should never be deleted (unless it runs afoul some rule) and should be kept around for historical and informational purposes.

This is such a silly and bizarre conversation to be having. Is Jamf having a problem with paying for email sending expenses? Because I cannot otherwise comprehend why customers cannot continue to receive email notifications. It's non-sense like this that starts to add up with long time customers. There's no benefit to customers by removing email notifications. But there is a downside. So why even make this an issue you need to act on?

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

Let me echo @bpavlov comments. I can't understand why Jamf is refusing to send email notifications on upgrades. I have opened a ticket with them and encourage everyone to do the same.

Why would we NOT get Jamf upgrade notifications? This is a terrible decision Jamf should reconsider ASAP. Does Jamf really want a significant number of your admins to discover the changes once it's too late to plan for them?

Changes in functionality are critical to a production environment, and we should be able to plan (and ideally test) for a release before it enters production. We don't want another incident like Apple's update that killed WiFi; the ability to know about and vet updates is critical to enterprise endpoint management.

Why should we have to constantly check the Announcements area of the Resource Center in Jamf Pro. Following release notification discussions on Jamf Nation to receive updates is not an acceptable replacement for email notification. I cannot understand this decision. Especially as not all decision makers have access to the console, and many don't have a Jamf account.

These announcements are critical for corporate management to make decisions and plan timelines. I can work around this, but Jamf is forcing workarounds for NO reason.

Is Jamf is going to stop sending marketing and (Thursday) presentation emails, why stop important information emails.

I find this extremely disappointing and see no legitimate reason for Jamf to be hiding update information.

edit
My mea culpa regarding Jamf minimally supporting macOS 10.15:
What "changed" for Jamf is specifically for macOS 10.15. 10.15 was recommended, it is now minimally supported. This has nothing to do with other minimally supported OS' that are already there: 10.13 & 10.14
https://docs.jamf.com/10.30.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Jamf_Pro_System_Requirements.html

Bottom line, it looks like Jamf 10.30 continues to support macOS 10.13 through 11.

I would suggest Jamf be clear when adding a line like that to the changes section.

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

@kaylee.carlson is my reading of 10.30 correct?
Jamf has stopped supporting macOS 10.14 Mojave on 10.30?
What are Jamf Cloud customers supposed to do when 10.14 is unofficially supported by Apple (it still receives updates)?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

From what has been explained to me in the past from a Jamf employee, what that means is that they don’t test operating systems older than the minimum supported.
They don’t actively make changes to break support for those older operating systems. If you run into an issue with those older operating systems, it’s because they didn’t test against it. You would need to file a support case to have it looked at.

chrisleduc
New Contributor II

Are you sure? It looks like. 10.15, 10.14 and 10.13 are all still „minimum supported. Maybe I did look at the wrong spot?

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

Thanks all...I'm hoping this is a typo...This is what it says in the What's new document:
macOS 10.15.x has been moved from Recommended to Minimum Supported compatibility.

chrisleduc
New Contributor II

Ah! I didn’t read your original message properly. Yes „minimum“ is fine. It just means that they now recommend using Big Sur primarily, but they still support N-3 versions as before.

There is only one „recommended“ version but multiple supported ones.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

@user-TykYEzpbkp, that is not a typo.

If you go to the next page in the release notes where it lists Jamf Pro System Requirements you will see the table with the supported OS's and their levels of support. Moving the macOS 10.15 to the minimum supported OS line does not mean we don't support it. Minimum supported is still supported, but we will always recommend people using the most modern versions of things.

Every year when Apple adds a new major OS we add it to our list it while moving the other previous OS's lower on the supported OS table. At time of release from Apple we typically keep the previously newest OS on the Recommended row for at least a couple versions of Jamf Pro. Hence having both macOS 11 and macOS 10.15 on the recommended line for the last few versions. This has been our standard operating procedure for many years.

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

My mea culpa: What "changed" for Jamf is specifically for macOS 10.15. 10.15 was recommended, it is now minimally supported. This has nothing to do with other minimally supported OS' that are already there: 10.13 & 10.14
https://docs.jamf.com/10.30.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Jamf_Pro_System_Requirements.html

I read this as the minimum supported version, rather than minimally supported
Bottom line, it looks like Jamf 10.30 continues to support macOS 10.13 through 11.

I would suggest Jamf be clear when adding a line like that to the changes section.

chrisleduc
New Contributor II

The document shows 10.15, 10.14 AND 10.13 as supported versions equally. There is no status change for 10.14 from what I can see.

The sentence you highlight just moved 10.15 from recommended to supported. It does not move 10.14 from supported to untested or unsupported.

chrisleduc
New Contributor II

My apologies, I only saw your answer after the page saved my post. Mea culpa as well! ;-)

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

@user-TykYEzpbkp, Im sorry I was not clear in my last post.

Nothing has changed from a process standpoint. If you go to the page I linked for the release notes you will see that macOS 10.15, 10.14 and 10.13 are still listed on the Minimum Supported section.

And there is the paragraph above that which states "Jamf Pro compatibility with Apple operating system (OS) releases for computer and mobile device management is generally based on an N-3 support policy. This means that Jamf Pro will support the current major version (“N”) and the three previous major versions (“-3”) within either the Recommended or Minimum Supported compatibility levels. When a new Apple OS version is made available and added to Recommended, the oldest release will be moved from the Minimum Supported to Untested level."

So to be clear, every year when Apple adds a new major OS, all previous supported OS's move down one line on our supported list. So the next time that Apple releases a major OS you will see our chart be updated. This has been Jamf's policy for years.

spalmer
Contributor III

@mike.paul The What's Changed section of the release notes include the section:

Environments Impacted by [PI-008988] If your environment was impacted by [PI-008988], changes in Jamf Pro 10.30.0 may require the Apple TV devices in your environment to be renamed after you upgrade to 10.30.0 or later.

However, I can't find PI-008988 in Known Issues under My Assets to review whether or not we are impacted by that PI. Could that please be added to Known Issues?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@spalmer Jamf doesn't list all product issues in the Known Issues List which is a complaint I mentioned here: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/38518/jamf-pro-live-known-issues-list#responseChild2147...

From the MacAdmins channel #jamf-bugs:
PI-008988 - Unable to rename Apple TVs from the API. Other iOS devices and macOS devices can be renamed fine via the API

It would be great if Jamf gave us ALL known issues (minus security vulnerabilities) in the Known Issues list (not just what they think is relevant) so we didn't have to crowd source this info as a community or have to rely on Jamf Support to provide us this information. Hope that helps.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

@spalmer That issue was fixed in Jamf Pro 10.27 so it was removed from the list of known issues in that release. It is mentioned in that versions release notes.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@mike.paul This is one of the pitfalls I mentioned of the Known Issues list. There's no way to see what issued have been resolved and in what version. A customer would have to manually look at each of the release notes for previous releases. I provided feedback in that discussion started by @diana.breza and never really heard back (and no other customer provided feedback either). But I hope she took the feedback and is looking to improve the Known Issues list.

spalmer
Contributor III

@bpavlov Thanks for posting info about PI-008988.

And thanks for posting a link to the new discussion from March. I totally missed that one. Posting feedback there now.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Jamf Pro 10.30.3 was apparently released yesterday. No email was sent out. In fact, I found out through the MacAdmins Slack. This is just such piss poor and inexcusable communication from Jamf.

https://docs.jamf.com/10.30.3/jamf-pro/release-notes/What%27s_New_in_This_Release.html

It doesn't even feel like they are even trying to communicate at this point. Even though the main post in this discussion is modified, there is no email notification even going out for that. Not that I'm relying on that, but I just had to confirm if what Jamf suggested was even working. It's not.

Another suggestion that Jamf gave was to subscribe to the product page which is also not up to date:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/10398/keep-product-email-notifications#responseChi...

First, we can subscribe to Jamf Pro (as a product) in Jamf Nation. This will trigger emails to be sent to your email address (Jamf ID) as an update is released: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/third-party-products/755/jamf-pro

As you can see, this product page has not been updated since 6/18/21 even Jamf Pro 10.30.3 was released yesterday 6/30/21.

cf413da85b564e0a96d347d12b822b48

afarnsworth
Contributor

When you make changes can you update the title to something like What's New in Jamf Pro - Updated June 30, 2021

Just make it easier when checking JamfNation to see if anything is new at a glance w/o having to open the article

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I'm not updating any of my servers until these frequent releases stop.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Maybe Jamf employees can edit titles, but even if they do, the problem will remain, modifying the original post will not suddenly bring the post to the top of the discussion board or create notifications for Jamf Nation users. This whole thing has not been very well thought out.

kaylee_carlson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone – we understand that product release email notifications are important to some customers and we want to let you know that we will continue to send proactive Jamf Pro product release email notifications when a new version of Jamf Pro is available. These will look different than previous emails, as we are migrating to a new email system. More information will be sent about this change with the next scheduled Jamf Pro release.

In addition to the existing in-product release notifications, new options to customize Jamf Nation email notifications will also be rolled out in the coming weeks. These updates will allow you to get even more granular with how you want to be notified (only when the post is updated, when a comment is made, etc.). If you have “followed” this post, have notifications enabled and still did not receive a notification when this discussion was updated on 6/29/21, please contact your account representative at success@jamf.com.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate this change to a new system. Our ultimate goal is to ensure you have the most up-to-date information on what’s new in Jamf Pro and we look forward to sharing more information soon.

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

Why is Jamf continuing to insist on providing admins and managers no information about updates? Users have expressed a strong desire to have update information sent to their email. And Jamf relented last month.

Now..

These new product release email notifications will direct you to Jamf Nation, where you can see the details of what is included in the release

Jamf will only tell you an update was released but NO information about the update in email????!!!

I said it before, and I'm saying it again. Jamf needs to continue to send out email updates on changes to Jamf products. Not just let us know  version 10.x  is out.

Many managers don't have nor want to have Jamf Nation accounts and should be able to receive a summary of new versions.

prbsparx
Contributor II

Reiterating what others have said:

1. We need emails about new updates. ESPECIALLY point ones like this that fix an issue that is likely to impact a large # of people.

2. If you're gonna force it to be in threads.. Release Notification threads should have their own category, and a new thread should be created each time. We should be able to subscribe to the category in a way where we get notified of new posts, but not comments.

user-TykYEzpbkp
New Contributor II

And still useless notification of changes with 10.35