Why report.csv.html instead of report.csv when saving reports?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Every time we pull a report and select csv, we end up with an html file.

So we have to navigate to ~/Downloads to select report.csv.html and remove the .html suffix.

It's a drag...is it a bug...or should I file a feature report? Not complaining, just inquiring (yea, that's the ticket!). :)

TIA
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Its Safari. If you do the same from other browsers like Firefox or Chrome, you don't get the .html suffix, you get an actual .csv file. I agree its a pain in the butt, and wish I could prevent it from doing that. Safari is my browser of choice, but sometimes its quirks are pretty annoying.

View solution in original post

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Yes and no; Safari is a bit overzealous in assessing MIME types and appending extensions. So, it's taking it's cues from the Content-Type tag and adding what it thinks is appropriate. Other browsers are (appropriately) disinterested.

Wait, Apple thinks they know better than the user?!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Its Safari. If you do the same from other browsers like Firefox or Chrome, you don't get the .html suffix, you get an actual .csv file. I agree its a pain in the butt, and wish I could prevent it from doing that. Safari is my browser of choice, but sometimes its quirks are pretty annoying.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Yes and no; Safari is a bit overzealous in assessing MIME types and appending extensions. So, it's taking it's cues from the Content-Type tag and adding what it thinks is appropriate. Other browsers are (appropriately) disinterested.

Wait, Apple thinks they know better than the user?!