WiFi accès at the login screen

erichughes
Contributor II

When a user restarts their machine and clicks the Wifi Icon in the corner of the screen it does nothing. If connected to wired ethernet it joins fine. Users, after restarting, need to be on a network to use Okta Desktop MFA at login and if their laptops are not connected to a network, it will fail. In the office no problem just plug them in, but when they are working from home it is a problem because most don't have a wired connection easily available. I am wondering if I have somehow disabled this in a Configuration Profile setting. Any ideas where that might be, so I can allow my user to be able to select and connect to a WiFi network at the login screen. Sometimes after restart it will remember the network and remain connected but not always.

4 REPLIES 4

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

What kind of network setup are you trying to configure?  Keep in mind:

User-level authentication to an 802.1x network (such as EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS) is not supported at the macOS login window with Jamf Connect. For more information about connecting to enterprise networks on macOS, see Connecting Apple devices to 802.1x networks in Apple Platform Deployment.

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-connect-documentation-2.16.0/page/General_Requirements.html

erichughes
Contributor II

It is mostly all home networks for my users who work from home, I doubt any of those are 802.1x. But wither way the WiFi icon does nothing when clicked. I need users to be able to click that and select their home network. I can click the Power icon and the Keyboard icon, and get their drop downs but not the WiFi icon.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@erichughes Do you have FileVault enabled? If so the login screen isn't really a fully operational macOS, it's essentially a pre-loader waiting for the account info for a user who has permission to unlock the drive. Only after it's unlocked does macOS proper load and allow changing the Wi-Fi network.

erichughes
Contributor II

FileVault is not enabled.