ATV and Netflix mirroring from Teacher iPad

ger
New Contributor II

Does anybody have a solution for teachers with managed iPads to mirror a Netflix Video from their iPad to the Classroom ATV ? Netflix account is a personal account, as the school does not have any.

Thanks for your help

ger

18 REPLIES 18

GregBobbett
Contributor

If you are trying to Airplay, Netflix doesn't support it anymore. 

From Black screen with sound | Netflix Help Center
If you use Airplay or Screen Mirroring
Airplay and Screen Mirroring are no longer supported by Netflix.
To use your iPhone or iPad to watch Netflix on a TV, use a supported connection.
Also it has to be an 'ad free; type of account:

How to use a mobile device to watch Netflix on a TV | Netflix Help Center

Greg Bobbett

Bol
Valued Contributor

@ger @GregBobbett is correct in that airplay is no longer supported.

We push the netflix app onto the apple tv as the user needs to log into that, either via Apple TV remote (HA!) or using iPadOS / iOS : Apple TV remote control in control centre
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/tv/atvb701cadc1/tvos

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We make it easy. We block Netflix entirely and provide an alternate streaming service that's AirPlay friendly. Same goes for Prime Video, Max, Disney+, etc. 

We read the EULA and the legalese of each service and determined as a district we don't want that liability on our shoulders.

Bol
Valued Contributor

If only all my solutions to requests was a deny list, I'd be up to date on work in no time..

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

True, but in this case legal won that battle. Plus it's easier. We use Swank for licensing the physical media playback anyways so we just tacked on the streaming service and we have our butts covered. 

Bol
Valued Contributor

Thank you for detailing, it's an interesting use case and I was interested to go and find out more.

ger
New Contributor II

Thanks for your answers.
@Bolcould you explain your solution to have the Netflix App installed on the ATVs ?

ger
New Contributor II

how can Teachers log into their account on the ATV Netflix app?
Is it possible to have this only allowed for teacher iPads and not for student iPads?

Bol
Valued Contributor

@ger Sorry if I am missing something here but you would assign license / push out the managed app via MDM / Jamf to the apple tv device, it is the same as the ipadOS app.
Instead of airplay you are now playing the content directly via the Netflix app installed on the Apple TV.

Bol
Valued Contributor

As unhelpful as it sounds, anyone that has a netflix account and wants to display content, will need to log into the Apple TV app then navigate the interface to play. 
Airplay (I imagine) has less ways of ramming adverts down your throat so the main streaming apps cut off support as opposed streaming content directly in app.

ger
New Contributor II

Netflix App is pushed to the ATVs.

But how do tge teachers get their Netflix Login onto the ATV Netflix App?

1) Do you use the ATV-remote from ControlCenter?

2) Is it oossible to give access for ATV-remote only to managed Techer iPads?

Bol
Valued Contributor

Ok great. Yes either, just depends if they still have the remote but sign-in on screen.

* Yes we do, either by managed iPad or unmanaged iOS device.
* Yes it sure is, send out a profile to your Apple TV's and allow list either;

- iOS devices that are allowed to use Apple TV Remote app with this ATV
- Apple TV's that are allowed to be controlled with iOS / Apple TV Remote app

You can browse individual managed devices to select and it will populate: name and mac address. Otherwise, set to all allowed.

Bol_0-1713925778245.png

ger
New Contributor II

Thank you, I will give it a look tomorrow 👍

Btw , where does your screenshot come from?

Bol
Valued Contributor

No problem, located under;
Mobile Devices -> Configuration Profiles -> TV Remote 

Bol_0-1714021628401.png

ger
New Contributor II

Sorry @Bol , I can't follow your path, are you in JAMF School or JAMF Buisnes?

Bol
Valued Contributor

Sorry @ger I'm using on premise, Jamf Pro: Devices / Configuration Profiles: TV Remote payload.
Also there is the Restrictions payload with the option: Pairing TV with Remote app which can be set to allowed.

Bol_0-1714307230352.png

Bol_1-1714307299816.png
Hope that helps.

ger
New Contributor II

I have to use JAMF School, and it seems to be different to your PRO version.
In ATV Profile under tvOS payload / Apple TV Remote / I may allow all devices with Apple TV Remote App to control ATVs. Or I may enter the MAC-Address of allowed devices. 

As I do not want students to use the Netflix App and as I do not want them to control the ATVs with their iPad, I did not select the ALL devices option.
For testing purpose I entered the MAC of my iPhone, WLAN and Bluetooth.  ( do I have to enter it with or without : , like AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF or like AABBCCDDEEFF )
But I could not connect to the ATV.
I do not have your "Controlled Apple TV Devices" option, but I may assign a device group containing the ATVs to the profile.

For your other screenshot on "Restrictions"/"Functionality" I do not have any "Pairing ATV with Remote App option"

Unfortunately my JAMF School WebUserInterface is in german and I can not find any setting to switch to english, Windows and Browser are set to english. My account information is even shown in  english. :-(

Thanks for your help

Ger

Bol
Valued Contributor

The language of these settings is confusing to me but as I see it, use the allowed iOS devices to approve your iPhone (AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF), to then apply this profile on an Apple TV.

Controlled Apple TV devices setting is where you enter the mac address of the ATV, then apply the profile to your iOS devices that are allowed to connect using the remote app. So only one is required

Sample profile;
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/tvremote

<?xml version=”1.0” encoding=”UTF-8”?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>
<plist version=”1.0”>
<dict>
<key>PayloadContent</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>AllowedRemotes</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>RemoteDeviceID</key>
<string>10:10:10:10:10:10</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>AllowedTVs</key>
<array/>
<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
<string>com.example.mytvremotepayload</string>
<key>PayloadType</key>
<string>com.apple.tvremote</string>
<key>PayloadUUID</key>
<string>696eb2c4-df9d-463f-b74a-685dae845fac</string>
<key>PayloadVersion</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</array>
<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
<string>TV Remote</string>
<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
<string>com.example.myprofile</string>
<key>PayloadType</key>
<string>Configuration</string>
<key>PayloadUUID</key>
<string>3de47695-ad92-44f5-9bc9-f1b2f2c7727b</string>
<key>PayloadVersion</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

- TVRemote.AllowedTVsItem

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/tvremote/allowedtvsitem

Bol_0-1714397776133.png

- TVRemote.AllowedRemotesItem
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/tvremote/allowedremotesitem

Bol_1-1714397905296.png

Strange about not seeing the settings, maybe just confirm there isn't any filtering toggled on when creating the profile as those two settings are meant for different models and will disappear if filtered with the other device. Good luck!

Bol_2-1714398094241.png