Hybrid MDM environment

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a question about using both JSS and MS Intune together with Apple Classroom. The (student) iPads will be managed with JSS and the (teacher) MacBooks will be managed with Intune. Will it still be possible to use Classroom? 

Thanks in advance!
J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I strongly recommend using Jamf for Macs, iPads can be managed with Intune fine but Intune is garbage for macOS. Splitting your devices between environments will totally segregate them from a management and configuration perspective. From an AppleID perspective it should not matter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I strongly recommend using Jamf for Macs, iPads can be managed with Intune fine but Intune is garbage for macOS. Splitting your devices between environments will totally segregate them from a management and configuration perspective. From an AppleID perspective it should not matter.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with @AJPinto on this. You should have that the other way around. Manage the iPads in InTune (if you must use it), manage the Macs in Jamf Pro. iOS devices are simpler in nature and, while not a great product, InTune can sufficiently manage mobile devices. It's crap for managing Macs though and your experience will suffer if you try to manage the Macs in InTune.

See this thread for some more details - https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/jamf-pro-vs-intune/m-p/308815

Cbsnj
New Contributor II

Thank you both @mm2270 and @AJPinto for your answers!

I definitely agree with you on that, but unfortunately it is not my final decision to make as it is a customers environment. I will for sure advise them to do it the other way around, but it's their final say! 

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Understood. If it's someone else's environment, you can only provide advice. I would try to make the case though that they (and YOU, if you're supposed to be supporting them?) will be much happier managing the Macs in Jamf Pro vs. InTune. They may regret using InTune for the macOS management down the line, and switching after the fact, while not impossible, is also not that easy.

Where I work, all our iPhones, iPads and Android devices are managed with InTune. One of the reasons many environments use MDMs other than Jamf Pro to manage their mobile devices is because it's often a mix of Apple and Android devices, the latter which Jamf can't manage. But all our Macs are being managed by Jamf Pro. This hybrid method works out fine for us, as it does for many other companies/institutions.

Anyway, good luck. Hopefully you can convince them to do this the other way around.