iOS v12.5.7: Locking iPads for Videos

dletkeman
Contributor II

This may not be specifically about Jamf School but looking for a general recommendation and I think Jamf School users would be most likely able to relate.

Our school division is trying to re-use older iPads which use iOS v12.5.7 as the latest OS.  The iPads are being used for communication devices for limited use cases.  Places where only 1 or 2 apps are needed so we can lock these apps down.

The use case I'm trying to address is where teachers need to lock the app down to a video library where only the 5 or 6 videos can be accessed and nothing else.  If the students in this case have access to any other apps they will get distracted and sometimes combative.

One idea was to use something like Microsoft Stream in Single App Mode but it isn't compatible with iOS v12.5.7.  It works in Google Chrome and I'm currently looking into using Chrome Browser Cloud Managment along with a content filter to lock the student into Microsoft Stream web version.  I don't really prefer this solution as the web interface looks messy and I prefer locking to a single app that can play video content.

I'm wondering if there are any suggestions of a iOS video app that can accomplish this where we can update videos remotely as they become available.  Something that would be compatible with iOS v12.5.7.

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

With how outdated that version of iOS is, I doubt there are any actively supported viable solutions for what you are looking to do. It's time to send them to the trash pile in Somalia, err I mean the sky.

_gsm
New Contributor III

In the line of thought with your Stream SAM idea, You might be able to host the videos and leverage webclips on the home screen to turn the entire iPad into a video player. If it works on iOS 12, you would just need to update the webclips to change the video selection.