Jamf School iPads Students editing Wi-Fi Settings

Pursel
New Contributor III

We are K-12 and students have been selecting wi-fi - Information and editing our wi-fi settings. Is there a way to lock such things as auto-join, Private Wi-Fi Address and Limit IP Address Tracking? Students are also able to change DNS settings and then tell the teacher they are unable to work.

We currently have a profile for all of our school wifi's but I do not see away to get granular in Jamf School.

1 REPLY 1

Lasse
New Contributor III

I have seen this happen before. I don't like restricting unnecessarily, but some students might benefit from a stricter rules set.

I think I would try a set of settings here. Distribute a wifi profile with auto-join if available enabled. Then, in a restrictions profile, force wifi to be on, disallow modification of VPN settings, and turn off iCloud private relay. Consider turning off nearby password sharing and Airdrop password sharing. Yes, they are 2 different settings.

If they do not take their iPads home, consider to turn on the option to only join wifi networks configured with a profile. The last one here might be handy for those who have abused the system and needs to work on-device only. DNS settings can be configured in a profile, and turn off the option for users to modify. This is the option your network team might like the least, as it requires more maintenance.

Bundle with Jamf Safe Internet might also be an option, since that creates a VPN and is on-device.