New function at iOS 17 "Focus"

JamFm
Contributor

Hi all

Since iOS 17, students can change the background with the new "Focus" function. When will this be integrated into the Jamf restrictions?

Thank and best Regards

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Focus modes have been around since iPadOS/iOS 15 so the wallpaper loophole in 17.x is considered an OS bug. There is no MDM restriction for focus modes(yet?) so jamf can't in turn implement anything. Checkins/Inventory updates will change everything back temporarily so at least it's still semi enforceable. 

If you have the contact information for your state or regions Apple SE get ahold of them and ensure they report this up the chain so that the more people that report it the quicker it can be fixed. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Focus modes have been around since iPadOS/iOS 15 so the wallpaper loophole in 17.x is considered an OS bug. There is no MDM restriction for focus modes(yet?) so jamf can't in turn implement anything. Checkins/Inventory updates will change everything back temporarily so at least it's still semi enforceable. 

If you have the contact information for your state or regions Apple SE get ahold of them and ensure they report this up the chain so that the more people that report it the quicker it can be fixed. 

JamFm
Contributor

Ok, thanks for your fast feedback. I am passing this on in our state.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Great!

I contacted mine near the end of November and he actually knew very little about it as he had just discovered it himself the week prior. They have an internal feedback system so he submitted it. 17.3 is expected sometime in mid January so cross your fingers. 

Pursel
New Contributor III

We worked with Apple on this and have been told that iOS/iPadOS 17.5  Beta 2 has fixed this issue.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I did as well and my SE notified me of the fix a week and half ago. You can still create focus modes and configure wallpaper for them, but the wallpaper does not apply when the mode is selected.

I've testet with my Test iPad iOS 17.4.1 and it is furthermore possbile to selected a wallpaper and after apply focus mode will be change and displayed the Wallpaper on both desktops home/lock screen.

Hi Pursel

Are you work for Jamf ? Or where do you have the Info? 

Pursel
New Contributor III

No, we are a K-12 organization and use Jamf Pro and Jamf School. We just worked with our Apple SE to test the Focus Mode issues and they reached out to us April 18th to let us know that iOS/iPadOS 17.5 Beta 2 seemed to fix the issue of students changing the background with the new "Focus" function.

JamFm
Contributor

Hi all,

thanks for you feedback. But exist a solution or earliest at iOS/iPadOS 17.5  Beta 2 ??

And who is SE ?

JamFm
Contributor

Ah, you mean Apple iPhone SE ?

Pursel
New Contributor III

SE = System Engineer 

Ahh ups :-D System Engineer. SE from Jamf? 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Apple. I’m in the US and they have one or teams at the state level that are dedicated to helping out education customers.