iPad Disabled

lehmanp00
Contributor III

After 2 weeks now of "remote learning," I still have 1 issue that requires the family to drop the ipad off. Kids are disabling the ipad by entering the screen lock password wrong too many times. Actually, the last 2 it was a sibling that did it on purpose!

I just wanted to see if I was missing a way to get the ipad going again from home instead of having to have the ipad dropped off at the school and wiped and re-setup?
We have JAMF Pro and these are fully Supervised iPads.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smcshaner
New Contributor II

Once it no longer has a net connection and the device has been restarted it will not connect again until the passcode has been entered. Therefore the only option is to put the device in DFU Mode and Restore the iPadOS which will wipe all the data. You Don't Need to Purchase any software to do this, its a free to do using iTunes. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204306

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

thejenbot
Contributor III

If it's still on WiFi you can send a "clear passcode" command.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I did try that. Didn't work, however, the ipad was not on wifi. I had it plugged into a Mac with Internet Sharing enabled. Nothing ever happened.

talkingmoose

@lehmanp00, that probably won't work because tethering an iPad (that's already set up) to a Mac requires you accept a trust message on the device. You can't get that while the device is locked.

You really want to put the iPad on a wired network connection, but you're probably not going to get that at a student's home. At least when they bring it in, you can service it immediately (or make a self-help kiosk) by putting it on network and sending the command. Quite often, the command is queued and waiting to execute the moment the device is on the network.

Miya13
New Contributor

If your iPad is connected to a network and Find My iPhone is enabled, you can log in to your iCloud account to recover your disabled iPad to normal. Besides, connect to iTunes to unlock the disabled iPad after a backup if your iPad was synced with iTunes. Alternatively, consider an unlocking tool like Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker to help you.

mulder
New Contributor

It don't work i have he same problem

smcshaner
New Contributor II

Once it no longer has a net connection and the device has been restarted it will not connect again until the passcode has been entered. Therefore the only option is to put the device in DFU Mode and Restore the iPadOS which will wipe all the data. You Don't Need to Purchase any software to do this, its a free to do using iTunes. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204306

mind14
New Contributor

Hi, I was just wondering if recovery mode would have the same effect in dealing with this issue. I used Joyoshare software to get rid of the "iPad is disabled from connecting to iTunes" and the screen lock was removed. Because it's hard to get into DFU mode, but I know how to put it into recovery mode. Is recovery mode possible?

MIB
New Contributor III

when your profile is set with ios Payload

Allow pairing with other computers (Supervised devices only)

the Ipad sometimes do not require to trust the Mac its connected to. So youre able to share the network from your Mac. Sometimes you have to wait for a new IOS update to push it via Apple Configurator, sometimes you can unlock it in your Jamf presence. Its flaky but its a great solution.