Extending AD schema & Multiple MCX

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have extended the AD schema. And if so, can users be in more than one MCX group without having to choose which group at login?

Regards,

Ben.

5 REPLIES 5

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

I have actually been doing some reading on extending the AD schema and was wondering if anyone had any success this way.

We have had big problems using WGM and OpenDirectory for managed prefs and would like to investigate the AD Schema extension method.

Regards,
John

--

John Szaszvari
Network Manager | Monte Sant' Angelo Mercy College
02-9409-6281 | jszaszvari at monte.nsw.edu.au | 128 Miller St, North Sydney

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We do MCX's in Casper. No need to extend the AD schema if you're using Casper in your environment. We went from 'Golden Triangle' to straight AD with Casper doing the MCX's. Then you are only on one directory, and you also don't need to mess with the schema. I know places have successfully done it without issues, but in many places if there are entrenched Windows Server admins, it can also be an issue getting them on board with a schema extension.

John

ernstcs
Contributor III

I totally agree with John and have the same setup, but I have nice domain admins if i wanted to extend and nice network people too if you can believe that! Now that's a golden triangle!

jszaszvari
New Contributor III

I want to move to caspers MCX exclusively but there is a few things I cant seem to do..

Like Parental Controls. Have been trying to get parental control MCX working through casper for over 6 months now.

Regards,
John

--

John Szaszvari
Network Manager | Monte Sant' Angelo Mercy College
02-9409-6281 | jszaszvari at monte.nsw.edu.au | 128 Miller St, North Sydney

fsjjeff
Contributor II

I could be completely wrong here, but I *think* from earlier experimentation that MCX and Parental Controls conflict - kindof a one or the other thing. At least with 10.5, haven't really tried it since there.

Jeff