How to deploy 'Deprecation Notifier' from Google macops

neilrooney_old
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

I love DeprecationNotifier from the Google macops team. It's used as a way to get users to update their systems. The thing is, I'm struggling to get it deployed.

So it's supposed to work as a launchagent. X Code spits out a .app file which isn't really an app which can be installed so packaging it fails. It essentially only has to run at boot and it works.

What would be the best way to get this up and running on client machines and how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chad_fox
Contributor II

I haven't used the app before, but if Xcode is creating a .app file you could probably put it somewhere in the system with a package and then call it at login with a launch agent.

After reading over the description of the utility, it sounds like you could almost do the same thing with jamfHelper. It's already built-in with managed machines and it might save you from deploying another application.

There is even a fancy app to create the scripts, with an option to include a timeout similar to DeprecationNotifier: jamfHelper GUI

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

chad_fox
Contributor II

I haven't used the app before, but if Xcode is creating a .app file you could probably put it somewhere in the system with a package and then call it at login with a launch agent.

After reading over the description of the utility, it sounds like you could almost do the same thing with jamfHelper. It's already built-in with managed machines and it might save you from deploying another application.

There is even a fancy app to create the scripts, with an option to include a timeout similar to DeprecationNotifier: jamfHelper GUI