Packages and Scripts duplicated in Casper Admin

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Packages and scripts duplicated automatically in Casper Admin, but the share has only one source. If we delete any one of the duplicate, it deletes the file from the share. We can see it has two entries in DB with different package id. Has anyone came across this type of issue or any suggestions?

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan

2 REPLIES 2

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

We had this issue a couple weeks ago when we used Casper Admin on the same Mac to connect to our Lab Casper environment and then again to connect to our production Casper environment. It seems that Casper Admin kept some sort of a cache from our lab environment that had the exact same packages/scripts and when we connected to prod you could see it adding all the new packages. Lesson learned.. never use Casper Admin on the same Mac with two different environments.

We were able to fix the issue with the help of JAMF support by doing the following process.

IMPORTANT!! DO NOT ATTEMPT any of the following steps without first consulting JAMF support to make sure this is applicable to your issue/environment. If not done correctly this process has the potential of severely mucking up your JSS Database. You have been warned!

Once we've restored a known working Database backup (before the issue started) to a temporary MySQL instance on a system without a JSS (we can use the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar to restore the backup to this box), we can use the mysqldump utility to create backups of these specific tables. The mysqldump command is as follows if the install is in the Mac default location: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump -u root -p jamfsoftware TABLENAME > /Path/to/Save.sql For instance, in my environment I would use: /usr/local/mysql-5.5.29-osx10.6-x86_64/bin/mysqldump -u root -p jamfsoftware TABLENAME > /Users/testuser/Desktop/TABLENAMEbackup.sql The only edits I would need to make would be replacing both TABLENAMEs with one of the tables below: os_installer_categories os_installer_items package_contents package_objects package_receipts packages scripts Each will create its own backup.sql file, and once we have those created we can bring them to the production server and replace the existing tables with these using the following after we've truncated the appropriate tables: /path/to/mysql -u root -p jamfsoftware < /path/to/mybackup.sql EwAovrYdQTVeA4rpJsmz truncate table TABLENAME; WJLq6CTPstf0wJrbQkyn /path/to/mysql -u root -p jamfsoftware < /path/to/mybackup.sql

robmorton
Contributor

I know this is old, but a fairly simple fix for me was...
Quit Jamf Admin
Backup the Distribution Point (DP) file share - Not critical, but seriously
Delete the duplicate packages from the Web Console
Verify the packages are still on the DP - Should be since Jamf does next to nothing for a DP
Launch Jamf Admin and verify everything looks good now.