Windows JSS not detecting Java

rmaldonado
New Contributor

Fellow JAMFers,

I have been trying to update my external JSS from v9.12 - 9.22 and am having some trouble. I was able to update the internal(Master) to v9.22 with no problems, everything worked just like all the updates in the past have.

Once I tried to update our external server, I get this message repeatedly no matter what I try.

external image link

I have followed the advice of other threads on the forums with this issue but unfortunately none of the proposed resolutions have worked. I've removed Java entirely, and reinstalled JDK, JRE, and JCE to the exact same versions on our primary JSS but i keep getting the same error. It almost seems like it won't detect Java at all.

So now I turn to the forums hoping maybe someone out there has experienced this before or might have any additional ideas?

Thank you much

Ricky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hey Ricky,

Have we checked the environment variables on the DMZ computer yet?

Open up Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> System >> Advanced System Settings >> Environment Variables

Under System Variables, we should see something similar to the following:

Variable: JAVA_HOME Value: C:Path oJavajdk.1.x.x_xx
Variable: JRE_HOME Value: C:Path oJavajre7
Variable: JSS_HOME Value: C:Path oJSS

Change the drive letter and paths to match what the actual drive letter and paths are for your system.

If we don’t see these variables under System Variables, we’ll want to create them.

Given that it’s Windows, I always like to give it a quick reboot after making those changes, though it won’t usually prompt for adding new system variables.

Give it a try after getting those put into place.

If it’s still not working, and you haven’t already, I’d recommend reaching out to your Account Manager.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ctangora
Contributor III

Have you check tomcat's settings to be sure it is still pointing to Java

-edit- sorry, didn't take a close enough look at the screen shot. cancel this thought.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hey Ricky,

Have we checked the environment variables on the DMZ computer yet?

Open up Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> System >> Advanced System Settings >> Environment Variables

Under System Variables, we should see something similar to the following:

Variable: JAVA_HOME Value: C:Path oJavajdk.1.x.x_xx
Variable: JRE_HOME Value: C:Path oJavajre7
Variable: JSS_HOME Value: C:Path oJSS

Change the drive letter and paths to match what the actual drive letter and paths are for your system.

If we don’t see these variables under System Variables, we’ll want to create them.

Given that it’s Windows, I always like to give it a quick reboot after making those changes, though it won’t usually prompt for adding new system variables.

Give it a try after getting those put into place.

If it’s still not working, and you haven’t already, I’d recommend reaching out to your Account Manager.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

rmaldonado
New Contributor

^ This, a thousand times, this. Thanks Amanda, I was missing 2 of those System Variables, and the only one present was not even pointing to the right path. I added the missing variables, edited the one that was already there, and restarted. After that, everything worked.

Thank you for your assistance, this forum is always so helpful.

Best,

Ricky

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

This is good information Amanda!

Thanks.