Anyone else get a very google vibe that Jamfs "Software Updates" workflow is still in beta...

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Anyone else get a very google vibe that Jamfs "Software Updates" workflow is still in beta never mind it's been the "production" solution for OS updates for over 6 months now?

AJPinto_0-1715795630125.png

6 REPLIES 6

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

there is so much wrong with the UI, it would be comical if we were not paying for it.. and despite all the promises of DDM its still hit and miss (poss not jamfs fault there).

Its terribly clunky and provides zero feedback once you've sent the command.. I've resorted to API calls and EAs to get the basic info I require... 

Im sure it will all be fixed in v12  😬

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Yep. DDM is good in theory, but just like MDM commands before it, and the software update binary before those, its just half baked.

The fact Jamf has no reporting build around this, and you need to look at each device record individually or using API/EAs as you suggested is maddening.

foobarfoo
Contributor

Yup. To be specific I miss:

a) Fault handling. It certainly detects if a device fails, as it stops running Osupdatestatus, but it doesn't re-run the flow on the device. 

b) What options that can be selected. Currently, some options are appropriate for mobile devices, and some others for computers. If the end goal is to be able to do a "one-click" upgrade, that might make sense. But that just isn't a good idea.

IMO, it would be better to completely decouple updates for computer groups and device groups, and only make the appropriate options available. In addition, some kind of progress monitor would be beneficial. The only way to track progress is to sample devices that were in the run and check them individually for a guesstimate.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II
it would be better to completely decouple updates for computer groups and device groups

Very much so. Using smart groups just feels forced, and is missing the option to search for specific groups. When you have hundreds of smart groups, it gets really annoying looking for the one(s) you need.

k3vmo
Contributor II

I wouldn't be surprised if it was framed as a 'new feature!' announced at JNUC.   Wouldn't be as flashy to just take the beta tag off the title.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Ha, I think we would all get a kick out of that.