Best practices for Jamf Connect + Google IdP when changing a password

maxwolf
New Contributor

Hi,

I work at a private K-12 school with students that can be forgetful. Every now and then we need to change a user's password via the Google Admin console (user forgot, info leak, etc)

We rolled out Jamf Connect this school year, and we're realizing that when we change the password via Google Admin console, Jamf Connect no longer works. If we try to have the user sign in with the Jamf Connect google window, it will try to open a verification window that refuses to accept the new password.

Our fix is to use the local admin account, sign in that way, then use the local admin to change the user's account password to the new password. 

Is there any Jamf setting that would allow the Jamf Connect feature to change account passwords upon sign in? Or am I doing this the correct way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JamesSimpson
New Contributor

Are you using the Jamf Connect Menu Bar app with this setup? I believe the documentation suggests that the user should use the menu bar app to change their Workspace password instead of using the typical process. Also, using the menu bar app will verify that the local and Workspace password are the same every 15 minutes or so. This way, if they do happen to change the password, Jamf Connect will prompt them to re-sync the passwords. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JamesSimpson
New Contributor

Are you using the Jamf Connect Menu Bar app with this setup? I believe the documentation suggests that the user should use the menu bar app to change their Workspace password instead of using the typical process. Also, using the menu bar app will verify that the local and Workspace password are the same every 15 minutes or so. This way, if they do happen to change the password, Jamf Connect will prompt them to re-sync the passwords. 

Sometimes we need to change from the Google admin console (like forgotten passwords), but when doable I'll have users change from the menu.