Jamf Connect 2.9.0 now available

kaylee_carlson
Contributor
Contributor

Today we released Jamf Connect 2.9.0 for general availability; this release includes the below details.

Key Feature Content

Ability to Uninstall Jamf Connect from Jamf Now: The Jamf Connect DMG now contains a package for uninstalling Jamf Connect from the Jamf Now interface. To uninstall Jamf Connect, run the package on the intended user's machine.

Installer Changes: This update allows users to install Jamf Connect menu bar after an update by closing the window and reopening menu bar.

Jamf Connect now automatically opens upon first installation. Additionally, when Jamf Connect is upgraded by an administrator, the app now automatically quits and then relaunches as the updated version. This ensures that older versions are not concurrently running.

Resolved Issues

• [JC-3204] The Jamf Connect menu bar app is now able to retrieve custom Azure ShortName attributes.
  • [JC-3247] The Jamf Connect login window message that appears when signing in as a new user, "Creating your account on this Mac", is now translated into supported languages.
  • [JC-2859] The Jamf Connect Configuration interface now allows you to save 0 as the value of the Network Check-in Frequency field, disabling check-ins for network connection availability every x number of minutes.
  • [JC-2963] The Jamf Connect menu bar app now provides a descriptive error message when users enter either an incorrect username or password.
  • [JC-2977] When importing a configuration, the Create Jamf Connect keychain checkbox is now pre-checked in the Jamf Connect Configuration interface.
  • [JC-3185] ldapsearch search queries now resolve, rather than becoming unresponsive, if a user is in 1000+ active directory groups.
  • [JC-3199] The Enable Jamf Unlock toggle at the top of users' screens now automatically translates to the supported language set on each user's Mac.

Product Documentation

For more information, including Release Notes, please see the Jamf Connect Administrator Guide.

Thank you!

The Jamf Connect team

9 REPLIES 9

MatG
Contributor III

I see in the notes:

Jamf Connect now automatically opens upon first installation. Additionally, when Jamf Connect is upgraded, the app now automatically quits and then relaunches as the updated version. This ensures that older versions do not run concurrently.

So how can we suppress this change of behaviour as I don't want users seeing these boxes on enrolment.

abnaau
New Contributor III

This even happens during prestage enrollment... Right on top of "Location services": Jamf Connect login box :( 
How did this make it out of the beta?

This update broke out PreStage Enrolment too! Jamf Connect now pops up on top of the location services screen, but it also breaks our automated setup. We get stuck on a mac login screen and cannot get past it, forcing us to reinstall macOS.

This has caused a huge headache for me which I still can't fix. Somehow, even though I am only assigning an older version of Jamf Connect, it still downloads the most updated one.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@HUTechOps Do you have the auto update feature turned on in the jamf apps section of settings?

That would keep things downloading updates automatically.  I had a huge issue when I accidentally turned this feature on, and it immediately starting downloading the newest client and installing it on every device in the config profiles scope that controls Jamf Connect.  Not much documentation about that feature and totally rolled out jamf connect before we were ready, even turning it off didnt stop the roll out because it had already issued the commands via MDM.  To my knowledge there is no other part of Jamf that functions that way (although I wish patch policies did).

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.35.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.35.40 AM.png

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience, and thanks for the tip. That setting is definitely turned off on our end (it is off by default thankfully)

Something is still updating the Jamf connect app in the enrollment process just after 'Remote Management' and I can't find what it is! Laptops that have already been enrolled for a while are on older versions of Jamf Connect, so it's not updating once it is installed. Bizarre!

I can still enroll machines on Monterey, but Big Sur is completely broken. The problem is we have a lot of laptops that come with Big Sur from the factory and updating them all manually would be a pain. :(

jp2019
New Contributor III

Like Gabe Shackney, I also experienced the same when turning on the update feature of Jamf Connect.  Even when turned off, the updates continued because the command was sent out.  For me it was a bit of a nightmare with lock accounts, etc., because our laptop users after initial provisioning and account creation via our Jamf Connect and Azure as our IDP, we disable the Jamf Connect login window, unless it is a shared laptop.  The Jamf Connect login window pop-up was not what a lot of users were accustomed to and that created confusion.   I am hoping that the JC can be upgraded without the pop up after the upgrade for devices that have JC disabled.  Is there a away that can be achieved? 

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Jamf Connect now automatically opens upon first installation. Additionally, when Jamf Connect is upgraded, the app now automatically quits and then relaunches as the updated version. This ensures that older versions do not run concurrently.

@kaylee_carlson Im agreeing with the above statement from MatG, not sure who would have asked for this feature, but it needs to be able to be disabled (as well as set to "not automatically open" as the default setting) as it completely hinders our prestage install and login workflow.

@MatG As soon as I saw this I had to revert back to 2.8 to suppress this extra pop up during login.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

TobiasO
New Contributor III

@kaylee_carlson  
Jamf Connect 2.9.0 causes an issue where you get a login popup straight after selecting your location Services.

Could we get an update on how to fix this?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@TobiasO My Jamf CSM said to just continue to push the old 2.8 package until they create a fix, but that it looks like a PI.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools