Jamf Connect Login refuses Radius wifi credentials

mlemieux
New Contributor II

Hello,
we're starting to deploy Jamf Connect and it went well so far for the employees at home, but today I noticed that we cannot connect to our offices wifi from the Jamf Connect Login window, meaning that we can't connect from Jamf Connect to our macbook pros at the office.
We use Radius wifi at the offices with AD credentials. If we login local offline on the macbook, we can then connect to the wifi from mac preference system, but the Jamf Connect Login window refuses the same credentials to connect to the wifi.
The network department have no idea why the login window could be restricted from using the radius wifi. Note that we tried 3 different accounts and different macbooks ending with the same results.
We also tried with the "devices" network, which is WPA2, doesn't require a username, only a password and this one works. But this network is not supposed to be used by employee macbooks.
Am I missing something ? To my understanding, it doesn't make any sense at all.

28a950d0652048c0b611d781cc429994

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mlemieux
New Contributor II

Jamf Support answered this for me.
Jamf Connect does not support user based authentification for radius wifi. It only support system authentification.
I asked the network team to see what they can do about that.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

nelsoni
Contributor III

It is possible this is a bug in Jamf Connect in that it is trying to use Machine auth at the login window even though it is asking for credentials. What do the logs in the RADIUS server actually say when it attempts to connect?

mlemieux
New Contributor II

Hello Nelsoni,
the Radius server doesn't notice any connexion attempt.

kquan
Contributor

I am seeing the same issue as @mlemieux and when networking checked the radius server doesnt show any attempt to connect. When I reached out to Jamf support I was pretty much SOL since they said its not supported.

nelsoni
Contributor III

I would think the issue here is that since it is attempting to use user credentials to authenticate, that is a user auth method that the Mac will not attempt to perform at a login window where it default to machine auth.

mlemieux
New Contributor II

Jamf Support answered this for me.
Jamf Connect does not support user based authentification for radius wifi. It only support system authentification.
I asked the network team to see what they can do about that.

TAMU_MarComm
New Contributor

It's been six months has the network team gotten back to you yet?

mlemieux
New Contributor II

I don't remember. I think it's still an issue with radius.
Since then, we changed to a certificate authentification and we don't have a problem anymore.

Samstar777
Contributor II

Hello Lemieux,

Can you tell us what changed you have done to get this working ?

MannyKrishna
New Contributor II

we have issued machine base certificate SCEP but still unable to connect in login screen , 

Pls let me know anyone has fix for this or this is product limitation