Jamf Connect Login Screen Timeout?

dtmille2
Contributor III

Hello all,

I am noticing that after a Mac is sitting on a Jamf Connect Login screen after a restart for an unknown amount of time, when someone attempts to login, they get an error with a message to contact their administrator.  If the user clicks "Refresh" they are then able to log in.

My best guess as to what is happening is that the login website window is that is called up when a Mac restarts is timing out after a certain amount of time, and clicking restart loads it again and makes it active again. 

I've had to add a note to the login screen background for the user to click "Refresh" if they get an error.

If my guess as to the cause is correct, then some type of automate refresh might be a solution.

Has anyone run into this and come up with any other solution?

6 REPLIES 6

NickWilliams
New Contributor III

We've got this exact same problem too (Jamf Connect 2.15 / macOS 12.6 / Azure)

dtmille2
Contributor III

I may have to just go ahead and open a support ticket with Jamf about this issue. Will update thread if I do.

GraemeU
New Contributor III

We also have this issue in our always-on mac labs. please update us if you get a positive response from support.

dtmille2
Contributor III

Update:

We ended up resolving the issue on our end. CAS authentication service creates a session, even if you are not authenticated. One of our systems administrators added some javascript to our CAS page that will cause the page to reload the next time activity is detected on the page 5 minutes from initial page load.

I still think that it would be great to be able to configure automated refreshes of that window in Jamf Pro. The "refresh" button is already there so it is probably doable.

dtmille2
Contributor III

Follow-up:

I was mistaken. Our script on our CAS login page to refresh every 5 minutes of inactivity after a user interacts with it did NOT fix our issue. Even after the CAS window refreshes, we still get the error when someone attempts logging in, if login is attempted after 15 minutes of inactivity.

I found out from Jamf Support that this is an issue they are tracking: "Based on the behavior you described for the initial issue in the case, it appears that you were running into PI110503 where Expired cookies can be provided during OIDC authentication due to inactivity at login screen causing the login attempt to fail. The product team is still looking into this issue".

The support rep indicating that the issue should be resolved in an upcoming release of Jamf Connect. Version 2.17 just came out, so I will test.

GraemeU
New Contributor III

Release notes here:Release History - Jamf Connect Documentation | Jamf

Resolved: 

• [PI110503] The Jamf Connect login window now notifies users when a login session is expiring after extended inactivity and automatically refreshes the login screen.

excellent. I will look at 2.17 deployment this weekend