Jamf Connect Showing Two Icons in Menu Bar

Justin13579
New Contributor III

How do we stop the macs from showing two Jamf Connect Icons in the menu bar? When running 2.8 no issues. After upgrading and/or downgrading (after uninstall / reinstall) the macs show two icons for Jamf Connect and we can't figure out why.

Running Jamf Cloud.
Running Mac OS Monterey 12.3 and 12.4 on test macs.

4 REPLIES 4

dlbrabb
New Contributor III

We had the same issue at one time.

• Open Activity Monitor, search for "Jamf Connect", and then close both applications running.  Only one will start back up.
  • You might also want to look inside System Preferences->User & Groups->Login Items.  We were seeing Jamf Connect showing up in there.  Delete it.

We attributed this behavior to a certain version of Jamf Connect, can't remember what version but it seems like it was somewhere around 2.8.  We are now on 2.11 and have had no problems like this happening.

Justin13579
New Contributor III

I only see one config profile that forces the app to open at login. On the Users & Groups Section - no matter how many times we remove it from the Login Items list - on reboot it reloads there. As does the two icons in the menu bar. Using activity monitor allows to quit them - but on reboot they both reappear. 

Seems to be more like something that occurs only after an upgrade of Jamf Connect on a device. Macs that loaded with 2.8 don't have this issue. Only once they are upgraded to anything else.

Any other ideas?

sbiondio4
New Contributor II

From what i've noticed, i THINK this has to do with Jamf adding the "Automatically Open at Login" check box to the preferences, and the machines that previously used the "JamfConnectLaunchAgent".  I think both of these are now working together and opening 2 instances of Jamf Connect.  I haven't been able to figure out how to resolve this yet though, so while i keep working at it, i'll keep an eye here to see if any of this info helps spark some ideas on how to fix it. Cheers! 

sbiondio4
New Contributor II

After i wrote that, i had an epiphany, then after a few successful tests, this may help - 

In finder, navigate to /Library/LaunchAgents/ and delete the com.jamf.connect.plist file, and reboot. 

Now time to automate this to everyone!