Macs start up in native MacOS login window

TheHoff
New Contributor III

We seem to have an issue with the configuration of our Jamf Connect.

We are using the connection with Azure to create our users.

Some Macs login with the Jamf Connect window, but some show the native MacOS window with 3 buttons. This last is not desired, since most of our users do not know their Local User account.

The native MacOS login window only appears after a reboot. When the Mac sleeps, it pops up with the desired login window (the one with the user icon).

The thing is that this does not happen on all our Macs. Out of about 30 Mac, this has happened once on a M1 13" pro running Monterrey and this week on 2 new M2Pro 16" machines.

Our configuration has not changes, since we onboarded to Jamf last October.

I am sure we are doing something wrong here, but I have no idea where to start looking. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

IMG_3631 2.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Do you have FileVault enabled on the device? With the Apple Silicon devices with FileVault enabled, when doing a cold boot of the device you'll be prompted like this to unlock FileVault.  By default, this will ask for username and password.  You can set this to show a list of FileVault Enabled users if you wish using the Login Window Payload for a configuration profile.  

DBrowning_0-1676982290960.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Do you have FileVault enabled on the device? With the Apple Silicon devices with FileVault enabled, when doing a cold boot of the device you'll be prompted like this to unlock FileVault.  By default, this will ask for username and password.  You can set this to show a list of FileVault Enabled users if you wish using the Login Window Payload for a configuration profile.  

DBrowning_0-1676982290960.png

TheHoff
New Contributor III

Wow, thanks! This indeed was not configured yet. That would explain the issues we are having. And yes, we are running FileVault. As soon as I am back in the office I will try this and will post back.

TheHoff
New Contributor III

This solved it, guess we totally missed it while configuring our Jamf install. The Macs did need 2 reboots for it to work though.

pvcit
New Contributor III

We use the show icons too just to alleviate confusion to users. I really do not understand why Apple just does not change to the background to something different use keep the it the same when unlocking filevault.