Permissions for app updates

_aDiedericks
Contributor

Hi there,

We're currently getting an influx of users who need to "update" simple apps like Keybase but those updates require admin permissions. To work around that requirement I add an update script to the Self Service portal which gets the job done but is there any way to maybe create a PPPC policy that will permit the user to update a version of software, I'm not sure what type of access is needed i.e full disk access or system file access that is being prompted in the admin credentials since it's non-descript.

I know there are also other solutions like Admin By Request that allows on-demand access to user elevation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

There are really no other options beyond what you are doing now. You make a JAMF Policy to manage the apps update (package, script, etc). Or, you can make a work flow to promote the user to admin which is more access then a user really needs.

PPPC is unrelated. PPPC controls the permissions applications have, not the permissions users have. Some Applications that come as a .dmg, can have the app simply dragged to /Applications (better to use ~/Applications) without any special permissions. MacOS requires admin access to run .pkg's as they often contain scripts, and modify files the user does not own.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

There are really no other options beyond what you are doing now. You make a JAMF Policy to manage the apps update (package, script, etc). Or, you can make a work flow to promote the user to admin which is more access then a user really needs.

PPPC is unrelated. PPPC controls the permissions applications have, not the permissions users have. Some Applications that come as a .dmg, can have the app simply dragged to /Applications (better to use ~/Applications) without any special permissions. MacOS requires admin access to run .pkg's as they often contain scripts, and modify files the user does not own.

YanW
Contributor III

Maybe try Installomator which has Keybase app