Message to be changed in Software Update Pop-up

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Do we have a method or Script to make changes in the Software Update Pop-up window?
I would like to change the word "administrator" to something "your login credentials"

Vinyboy_0-1668673292506.png

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Nope. You cant customize 1st party macOS messages with MDM.

Product Feedback - Apple

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

The Reason I asked, because during the Ventura 13.0.1 update we get this pop-up. And Standard user do not have Admin credentials and the message says to enter the admin credentials. 

On other hand, if standard user enter there Mac login credentials "It Works". - Able to install the 13.0.1 Update.

So, I was wondering if The Message says User Login or just Login instead of Administrator then Standard User can go ahead and enter there Credentials to do the Update Rather than getting Confused to use Admin or Self Credentials.😬

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

MacOS really exists 10-15 years in the past. You need a lot of 3rd party tools and extensions to add functionality that Apple should have added years ago.

As for why it works for standard users. On Apple Silicon, Software Updates don't actually need Admin access they need Volume Ownership (Intel Macs use a bootstrap token for software updates which comes from admin access). Should Apple update this message to reflect the current authentication requirements? Absolutely, but the only way they will even considering updating anything is if enough feedback requests are submitted.

Your only real option is to get documentation and training out to your users. 

• Use JAMF Helper to present popups with information
    • Users will still still be asked for Admin access by the macOS popup, but JAMF Helper could help them understand what that means if they actually read the JAMF Helper notification.
  • Use something like Nudge as @mainelysteve suggested
    • I don't care much for nudge myself but others live by it. Nudge literally just gives annoying popups which you can customize, and will open the softwareupdate pane. The update experience is still totally out of the box, and fully up to the user to accomplish. Users will still still be asked for Admin access by the macOS popup, but nudge could help them understand what that means if they actually read the nudge notification.
  • Email users what to do and maybe have an internal KB they can reference

Don't get me started on the miserable state that OS updates have been for years with macOS lol.

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

Thank you. I believe I got my answer. :)

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

As mentioned by @AJPinto this is a 1st party OS message that can't be modified by MDM so I'd recommend using something like Nudge to provide some context for your end users before they enter the software update pane.

Vinyboy
New Contributor III

Nudge is a good Option. However, May I know once they get the Nudge pop-up and click to update will that not redirect to Software Update to Click the Update button or Ask for Admin credentials to continue the Update?

bwoods
Valued Contributor

deleted

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this in under NDA. May have to delete this.