Nudge Installed via Jamf App Catalog missing LaunchAgent

Alex_Renna
New Contributor II

I am setting up Nudge to be deployed via the Jamf App Catalog to facilitate keeping it up to date, but it does not appear to be installing the LaunchAgent even though the listing says it will 

Alex_Renna_0-1676493461106.png

1) is this (or should it even be) the intended behavior? 

2) Who manages the Jamf App Catalog entries? 

Honestly, I think having a separate Nudge Launch Agent in the App Catalog may be better (in order to Balance the ease of Auto-Updates and deployments vs managing the Agent separately if that is also wanted) 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

I would open this as a Feature Request (Jamf Nation Feature Requests). That seems to get more attention by the App Installer team. Ask them to include the Nudge suite installer installer. 

I think the problem is that many orgs use custom Nudge Launch Agent so having the Suite installer would overwrite the LA each time. It is probably better to use a policy to install the suite and then use App Installers to keep the Nudge application up to date. 

View solution in original post

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Alex_Renna the 'LaunchDaemon included' tag in your screenshot refers to the App Installers LaunchDaemon, not any Launch Daemons / Launch Agents that the original software title may include. Most App Installers titles have a bundled LaunchDaemon that actually queues up the installation and then performs the installation on the End User computer if/when the app is not in use.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

scottb
Honored Contributor

Just a guess...just started using Nudge, so wondering if they're just keeping the app up to date as the rest is configured by you and they don't need updating?  

Could be totally wrong, but at least this would keep the app itself up to date ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Alex_Renna
New Contributor II

Yea that makes sense, the app is more important than the LA, as the LA is fairly static and more likely to be customized. 

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

I would open this as a Feature Request (Jamf Nation Feature Requests). That seems to get more attention by the App Installer team. Ask them to include the Nudge suite installer installer. 

I think the problem is that many orgs use custom Nudge Launch Agent so having the Suite installer would overwrite the LA each time. It is probably better to use a policy to install the suite and then use App Installers to keep the Nudge application up to date. 

Alex_Renna
New Contributor II

Thanks, I'll raise a request there

The more I thought this out, it does make sense that the LA is a separate item, and not even a hard one to maintain, as the LA (in theory, unless there are breaking changes) would not change much. 

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Alex_Renna the 'LaunchDaemon included' tag in your screenshot refers to the App Installers LaunchDaemon, not any Launch Daemons / Launch Agents that the original software title may include. Most App Installers titles have a bundled LaunchDaemon that actually queues up the installation and then performs the installation on the End User computer if/when the app is not in use.

Alex_Renna
New Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification. If an apps do not include a LaunchDaemon, does that mean the update is instant, or needs to be done manually? 

@Alex_Renna the titles that do not have the App Installers LaunchDaemon are 'background' apps that we can quit, update and relaunch without affecting the user. Examples of these include titles such as Dropbox and OneDrive.