Screen saver starts while users are in a google meet.

JeK
New Contributor

Hello!

We've noticed that some users' screen savers are turning on while they're in a Google Meet. This only seems to happen when the user has their camera turned off during the meeting. It's occurring on Chrome, Safari, Mozilla, and the PWA app.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before, and if so, how did you resolve it?

11 REPLIES 11

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I wonder if this might have something to do with hot corner settings, but you mentioned that this only happens when the camera is turned off during the meeting. Are you 100% certain that this ONLY happens when the camera is turned off? Also, are you loading any configuration profiles on these Macs that would affect the screensaver?

Hi Howie!

Yes, I have tested it in various scenarios. Even when users have their cameras turned off while screen sharing, the screensaver still activates. We have been using the same configuration profile for a year now with screen saver settings, and this issue only started occurring last week on Friday.

This problem is specific to Mac computers and Google Meet. Other services like Teams and Zoom do not activate the screensaver when the camera is off.

I hope this explanation clarifies the situation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more information.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

My first recommendation would be to remove what ever configuration profile you're using that applies to the screensaver from those computers and see if that makes the issue go away. In all of my years of using Jamf Pro, I have had some issues with profiles that caused unintended behavior. Often, the bad behavior is caused by payloads that conflict with each other, or just don't work well together. Sometimes it's good to have profiles that don't combine multiple payloads into one profile.

I take that back. Seems like it occurs when camera is on as well. 

MSBV
New Contributor II

This also happens on Windows, so it's something that broke in chrome probably.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

If this is something that is broken in Chrome, it should get fixed soon since Google releases updates to Chrome very often. I'm not a fan of Chrome but I am impressed at how quickly Google releases updates for it. Are these users using Google Meet through Chrome or using the app? I know the app is really not a full stand alone app, but if the users are using Google Meet through Chrome itself, that might make a difference. I worked for a company that was a big user of Google Meet, and I always used the app. I know this sucks. I wish I could offer better advice other than to ask questions. I love how we all help each other here!

MSBV
New Contributor II

I just opened a ticket to Google Workspace support, let's see what they come up with.

JamieCarterSP
New Contributor

Would love to hear an update on Googles findings @MSBV - also have a ticket logged. But they might get back to you before they get back to me on this.

MSBV
New Contributor II

They insist on me giving them a video of the issue. However, they did admit that they have multiple issues like this reported.

rpcuenco
New Contributor II

Have started getting user complaints about this, too. Seems to be related to Chrome 114. Curious to see how Google responds.

Yeah they also looking for video evidence from us. But its clear at this point something has gone wrong with their one of the latest versions of 114.

- They have suggested to us to try Chrome M 116 and see if we can reproduce the problem.