Updating MS Office 2019 to 2021

kwoodard
Contributor III

We are transitioning to the latest version of MS Office 2021. We currently have 2019 installed, using both the serializer and 365 licensing (I'm not sure I am labeling the two license types properly). I saw a video from last years JNUC that made it seem like all I have to do with the serialized installs is to install the new serializer for 2021 Office. For 365 users, nothing needs to be done. Is this actually the case? Do I need to install the full Office 2021 package? If I am understanding properly, I don't have to do that (save for new installations).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dmichels
Contributor II

Yes, I believe you are correct as well. I updated to Microsoft Office 16.73 and was using the 2019 Serializer, and all I did to get to 2021 is use the new serializer. I did not install any new base package. I would test a device and confirm when you go to About in ex. Word you should see the new 2021 Serializer without changing the base package. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

dmichels
Contributor II

I am actually pushing out Microsoft Office 365 via Jamf Pro & Mac Apps. It is working great. Then I downloaded the latest   Microsoft licensing portal (https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/ServiceCenter/default.as

and downloaded Microsoft_Office_LTSC_2021_VL_Serializer.pkg and push out through Jamf Pro after they get Microsoft downloaded & it also runs updates via Mac Apps.

Maybe I am not being clear... I have 2019 already installed on both staff computers and lab computers. What I am trying to confirm is if all I need to do to update all my computers to the 2021 versions. It seems that the base installer for both 2019 and 2021 are the same, the difference is in the serializer package that unlocks features depending on the version used. Also, if the computer is using the O365 license, they will always be on the latest version of the Office suite (my understanding anyway).

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

this maybe handy..  https://office-reset.com/  its only scripts.. that you can pull out and use.. 

dmichels
Contributor II
Jamf Pro Updates to Microsoft Office to Version 16.73

Latest Versions: 

dmichels
Contributor II

Yes, I believe you are correct as well. I updated to Microsoft Office 16.73 and was using the 2019 Serializer, and all I did to get to 2021 is use the new serializer. I did not install any new base package. I would test a device and confirm when you go to About in ex. Word you should see the new 2021 Serializer without changing the base package. 

jchen1225
New Contributor III

Thank you for the useful info. I tried pushing the 2021 VL serializer, as well as the rest tool (license reset). It does upgrade Office from 2019 to 2021, but it can't go past version 16.78 unless I uninstall 2019 and reinstall 2021 OfficeScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 12.09.58 PM.png