Facetime-Only Managed Apple ID's

user-uzkIggQQcp
New Contributor

I am managing about 40 iPad 7's using Jamf Now for a healthcare facility so people can communicate with their families during the pandemic. With Apple's help we were able to successfully set up facetime-only managed Apple ID's in Apple Business Manager so patients could connect without the need of an iCloud account. So far so good...

A few weeks ago we discovered we are no longer able to access Facetime and it is uncertain whether the devices are logged in with the managed id's. When we call up Facetime we cannot input a username. I have reset the iPads numerous times, have tried re-provisioning them, de-activating and re-activating the accounts in ABM. Nothing seems to work. All the iPads are up to date with the latest version of iOS.

About the same time (coincidentally or not?) it was around the same time Jamf Now introduced Apple id-based app assignments.

Is this a coincidence? More importantly, is there a fix?

4 REPLIES 4

jamfadminaz
New Contributor III

My team and I ran into a similar issue.. we just learned that it is only affecting Facetime devices in our ICU running iOS 15.0.2.. anything less than that works. 

CFlick
New Contributor II

Did you figure out this issue.  If I remove configuration profile, functionality is restored and you can type and it's not greyed out.  If i add configuration profile back, it becomes unusable again.  I think it might have occurred after an ios update, but i'm not entirely sure?  I'm still eliminating configurations to see which one is triggering the issue.  I've also noticed that if I enable "messages" it doesn't show up.  We restrict all apps except what is specified. 

CFlick
New Contributor II

I found the setting I was missing, hopefully this helps someone else. 

Restrictions>Functionality>Modifying account settings (iOS, Supervised)>Allow
With this enabled, it allows the sign in of facetime/messages on the device.  In my previous post, i was also missing that there was a messages restriction, but that wasn't my main problem.  "Modify account settings" fixed my issues.

jamfadminaz
New Contributor III

Hi! I apologize for the late reply. We figured it out shortly after I posted this... it turned out to be an issue with one of the iOS releases.. I can't remember which one..  I think it might have been the 15.0.2.