iMessage usage on managed devices require appleid?

michaeli
New Contributor

Okay, new user here. my question is once I setup a DEP device and apply a blueprint everything sets up perfectly. However the user cant use iMessage without and appleid. So what is the normal response to this? have the user make a new one? use their own? is there another trick I am not aware of?

Jamfnow user btw

Johnny

3 REPLIES 3

davehale
New Contributor II

Recommend the user use their own personal Apple ID for things like iMessage.

michaeli
New Contributor

This is one thing that pushed me toward using SLACK in our business. If you talk to apple enterprise support they will tell you that iMessage is an iCloud service, and that all iCloud services are not licensed for Commercial use, they are only meant for consumer usage. So when I tried to get support, I would bounce between the consumer and enterprise support, each saying its not their problem. Enterprise would say it is a consumer product and to call them, and consumer would say that I am an enterprise level support customer and to call enterprise support. eventually I just stop supporting it and told everyone to switch to Slack.

You can always just have each user make their own apple id and go from there. Just remember that the DEP transfer of the MDM profile can be removed in the first 30 days, so your hardware is not completely locked down till it has been in the system for one full month.

ZGBanks
New Contributor II

We have Apple School Manager/DEP, in it you can create Apple IDs for users of devices and to distribute apps. The only downside is having to create so many, but you do control them and are able to reset passwords without having to contact Apple. Not sure if your a business, but if you are, I would think the Apple Business Manager has the same feature/ability.