Therap app not completing install through Jamf Now on iPads

jgiaquinto
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with an app that just does not want to install. I'm going to try to be SUPER detailed with this post, so please bear with me.

The iPads we are using are company owned, and there is no Apple sign-in allowed on the devices. The app is Therap version 23.9, and its description says it's for both iPad and iPhone. It's a medical documentation app. The app works if it is installed on other iPads through the regular App store. I also had a similar problem installing the Zoom app, but I removed it from the blueprint and added it again, and it now works fine.

The Jamf Now dashboard shows the app as being installed and managed. It does not fully install on any of the iPads we manage. The app does not show up anywhere on the iPad, even in settings, while other apps do.

This happens every time, no matter what troubleshooting steps I have taken: when the device connects and syncs, the Therap icon on the iPad shows as installing (it does the faded icon "circle sweep" thing), then disappears when it hits about 3/4 circle.

In order to troubleshoot, I copied the blueprint (named it TEST) and moved a single iPad to this blueprint. These are the steps I've taken, though not necessarily in this order. I'll call the device "iPad1":

Removed Therap using Devices>iPad1>iPad and iPhone apps>Therap - Remove from device; after doing this, I reinstalled Therap; I also completed a remote device erase after uninstalling, reenrolled, and installed Therap again.
Removed all apps from blueprint, sync iPad1, then only added Therap to blueprint and resynced. I also removed all apps, did a remote device erase, then added Therap.

Moved iPad1 to a different blueprint, removed all apps from "TEST", moved iPad1 back to "TEST", added Therap to "TEST", synced iPad1.

Added other apps to "TEST", synced iPad1, all apps installed correctly, then added Therap, synced iPad1. 

It would seem to be an issue with the Therap app interaction with Jamf Now, since the app works on people's personal iPads, but has anyone else seen this type of behavior? Are there some other troubleshooting steps I should try?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jgiaquinto
New Contributor II

Just figured I'd let everyone know, it was user (ME) error. I had set up the blueprint a while ago, and Therap is a recent addition. I had totally forgotten that I had set Blueprints > Restrictions > App Usage to only allow some apps, and I never went back and added Therap to the allowed apps. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jgiaquinto
New Contributor II

Just to add, I just saw that Settings>VPN & Device Management>Enrollment>Apps shows the app as being included. It is still not installed.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

JAMF Now and JAMF Pro both use Apples API for installing AppStore Apps. I don't think an App Developer can allow an app to not install with MDM.

This is the situation I would tell you to check logs on JAMF Pro, however I don't think JAMF Now gives you access to these logs. I would say open a ticket with JAMF if you already have ensured that your VPP assignments are correct. Its also not a bad idea to renew your certificates, but if other apps are installing that should not be needed.

jgiaquinto
New Contributor II

Thanks, I haven't opened a ticket yet, I will do so.

jgiaquinto
New Contributor II

Just figured I'd let everyone know, it was user (ME) error. I had set up the blueprint a while ago, and Therap is a recent addition. I had totally forgotten that I had set Blueprints > Restrictions > App Usage to only allow some apps, and I never went back and added Therap to the allowed apps.