10.10 Connect to Server protocol default

adroitboy
New Contributor III

Hello all.

Since 10.10 came out the default protocol when connecting to a file server is SMB. That means that just entering a hostname into the "Connect to Server" address connects via SMB now. I'd prefer this to be AFP for various reasons. Is there a way to change the OS default back to AFP?

Yes, I can pre-populate the favorites for a user with the AFP protocol, I can auto mount, etc, etc, but I want to switch it back to AFP.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

adroitboy
New Contributor III

I'll take no responses as a "NO". I guess I'll just change my end of things for the 10.10 machines.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@adroitboy I'm not actually seeing the same issue here on a Mac running 10.10.2. I will also test against 10.10.3 and 10.10.4 to see, but if I just enter the IP address of one of our Mac servers on a freshly imaged system that has never connected to it before, it connects under AFP, not SMB. I was under the impression that the Mac/OS would get results back from the remote server about the preferred protocol and use that, instead of just defaulting to one or the other.

adroitboy
New Contributor III

thanks @mm2270 . Does your server have SMB enabled as well?

Perhaps there's a way to set this server-side, but my experience with the same sever and clients running 10.10 and 10.9, 10.8, 10.7 and 10.6 indicates this is a client-side change in 10.10.

We use Windows 2012 R2 with ExtremeZ-IP for our file servers. From a pre-10.10 machine, using the IP or hostname for a file server connects via AFP. With 10.10.0 to 10.10.4, using the same IP or hostname in the connect to server field results in a SMB connection.